Happy 21, Macintosh! 24-Jan-05 marked the 21st birthday of our favorite smiling friend, Macintosh. If you have a BitTorrent client (I'm currently using Azureus), go to the last URL below and download the video (21 MB QuickTime) of the Mac's introduction. Steve Jobs's bow tie alone is worth the download. [JLC]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 764.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- First Apple Security Update of 2005 Patches Mac OS X
- iMovie HD 5.0.1 Addresses Audio Sync Issues
- Stumbling across Bluetooth (and Wi-Fi)
- DealBITS Drawing: SmileOnMyMac's photoprinto
- PowerBooks Gain Faster CPUs, Scrolling Trackpad
- Mac mini Upgrade Prices Shrink to Size of Box
- Worthy Web Sites: YouSendIt
- Take Control News/24-Jan-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/31-Jan-05