Take Control 40% Off Sale for TidBITS 15th Anniversary -- This week marks our 15th anniversary of continuous weekly publication, and we're celebrating with a 40 percent off sale on our Take Control ebooks. To take advantage of the sale, use coupon code CPN50416TB15 when placing an order (note that you can't purchase any other bundles simultaneously, since eSellerate supports only one coupon per order). The offer is good on all of our current ebooks, but not on pre-orders of our upcoming Tiger titles. [ACE]
Is it a Unicode Font?
To determine if your font is Unicode-compliant, with all its characters coded and mapped correctly, choose the Font in any program (or in Font Book, set the preview area to Custom (Preview > Custom), and type Option-Shift-2.
If you get a euro character (a sort of uppercase C with two horizontal lines through its midsection), it's 99.9 percent certain the font is Unicode-compliant. If you get a graphic character that's gray rounded-rectangle frame with a euro character inside it, the font is definitely not Unicode-compliant. (The fact that the image has a euro sign in it is only coincidental: it's the image used for any missing currency sign.)
This assumes that you're using U.S. input keyboard, which is a little ironic when the euro symbol is the test. With the British keyboard, for instance, Option-2 produces the euro symbol if it's part of the font.
Published in TidBITS 776.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 Update Released
- iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iSight See Updates
- Adam & Tonya at New Mexico User Groups
- DealBITS Drawing: PDFpenPro Winners
- DealBITS Drawing: MaxSleeve and iProtect
- Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger To Be Released 29-Apr-05
- Apple Q2-05 Earnings Breeze Past Estimates
- Apple Announces Final Cut Studio
- TidBITS Anniversary: Looking Back over 15 Macintosh Years
- Take Control News/18-Apr-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/18-Apr-05