Apple Releases iTunes 4.8 -- Apple today released iTunes 4.8, a free download with minimal documentation. According to the ReadMe file, "iTunes 4.8 includes new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod," noting that the latter feature requires Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Poking around a bit reveals that Apple is incorporating video into iTunes; you can drag a QuickTime movie to the Library, where it appears with a small gray videocamera icon. Playing the movie displays it in the little Now Playing box (where album covers appear); clicking the movie opens it in a separate window, and clicking a new Show Video Full Screen button presents the movie full screen (although the full-screen option doesn't work for videos or movie trailers downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.) A new preference also controls the default window setting for video playback. As of this writing, the update was available only as a stand-alone download, but I'm guessing it will appear via Software Update soon. The iTunes 4.8 installer is an 11 MB download. [JLC]
Fill in Gaps in Pear Note
If you ever find yourself zoning out during a meeting or class, only later to realize that you forgot to take notes for 20 minutes, Pear Note makes it easy to fill in those gaps. To do so:
- Open your Pear Note document.
- Hit play.
- Click on the last text you did type to jump to that point in the recording.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
- Take notes on the part you missed.
Your new notes will be synced to the recording just as if you'd taken them live with the rest of your notes.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Other articles in the series Tiger! Tiger! Burning Bright
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update (03 Jul 06)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update (03 Apr 06)
- Mac OS X 10.4.5 Fixes Nits (20 Feb 06)
- Mac OS X 10.4.4 Released (16 Jan 06)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.3 (31 Oct 05)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update (18 Jul 05)
- Apple Releases 10.4.1 Hot on the Heels of Tiger (23 May 05)
- A New Dimension for iChat AV (09 May 05)
- Meet Automator (02 May 05)
- Introducing Dashboard (02 May 05)
- Spotlight on Spotlight (02 May 05)
- Evaluating the Tiger Installation Process (02 May 05)
Published in TidBITS 779.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2005-005 for Mac OS X 10.3.9
- A Trio of Radio Interviews
- DragThing Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary
- Spotlight Qualifiers Posted on Apple Site
- DealBITS Drawing for Stock WatchTower
- iMac G5 and eMac Lines Refreshed
- A New Dimension for iChat AV
- iPhoto 5: New Features Abound, Limitations Remain
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/09-May-05
Apple Releases iTunes 4.8
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and