Apple Releases iTunes 4.8 -- Apple today released iTunes 4.8, a free download with minimal documentation. According to the ReadMe file, "iTunes 4.8 includes new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod," noting that the latter feature requires Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Poking around a bit reveals that Apple is incorporating video into iTunes; you can drag a QuickTime movie to the Library, where it appears with a small gray videocamera icon. Playing the movie displays it in the little Now Playing box (where album covers appear); clicking the movie opens it in a separate window, and clicking a new Show Video Full Screen button presents the movie full screen (although the full-screen option doesn't work for videos or movie trailers downloaded from the iTunes Music Store.) A new preference also controls the default window setting for video playback. As of this writing, the update was available only as a stand-alone download, but I'm guessing it will appear via Software Update soon. The iTunes 4.8 installer is an 11 MB download. [JLC]
Mac OS X Services in Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Services let one application supply its powers to another; for example, a Grab service helps TextEdit paste a screenshot into a document. Most users either don't know that Services exist, because they're in an obscure hierarchical menu (ApplicationName > Services), or they mostly don't use them because there are so many of them.
Snow Leopard makes it easier for the uninitiated to utilize this feature; only services appropriate to the current context appear. And in addition to the hierarchical menu, services are discoverable as custom contextual menu items - Control-click in a TextEdit document to access the Grab service, for instance.
In addition, the revamped Keyboard preference pane lets you manage services for the first time ever. You can enable and disable them, and even change their keyboard shortcuts.
Other articles in the series Tiger! Tiger! Burning Bright
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update (03 Jul 06)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update (03 Apr 06)
- Mac OS X 10.4.5 Fixes Nits (20 Feb 06)
- Mac OS X 10.4.4 Released (16 Jan 06)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.3 (31 Oct 05)
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update (18 Jul 05)
- Apple Releases 10.4.1 Hot on the Heels of Tiger (23 May 05)
- A New Dimension for iChat AV (09 May 05)
- Meet Automator (02 May 05)
- Introducing Dashboard (02 May 05)
- Spotlight on Spotlight (02 May 05)
- Evaluating the Tiger Installation Process (02 May 05)
Published in TidBITS 779.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Security Update 2005-005 for Mac OS X 10.3.9
- A Trio of Radio Interviews
- DragThing Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary
- Spotlight Qualifiers Posted on Apple Site
- DealBITS Drawing for Stock WatchTower
- iMac G5 and eMac Lines Refreshed
- A New Dimension for iChat AV
- iPhoto 5: New Features Abound, Limitations Remain
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/09-May-05