iPhoto 5.0.3 Fixes Bugs -- Apple last week released iPhoto 5.0.3, fixing a few issues in the photo management program. Two improvements involve books: layouts no longer change when moving an image, and a problem that caused some book orders to be cancelled has been fixed. Smart albums also now appear correctly in other iLife programs. And lastly, with Mac OS X 10.4.2 installed, editing an image no longer shifts its colors, a bug that had caused significant consternation. The iPhoto 5.0.3 Update is available from Software Update as a 41 MB download, or as a stand-alone 39.2 MB download. [JLC]
Mac OS X Services in Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Services let one application supply its powers to another; for example, a Grab service helps TextEdit paste a screenshot into a document. Most users either don't know that Services exist, because they're in an obscure hierarchical menu (ApplicationName > Services), or they mostly don't use them because there are so many of them.
Snow Leopard makes it easier for the uninitiated to utilize this feature; only services appropriate to the current context appear. And in addition to the hierarchical menu, services are discoverable as custom contextual menu items - Control-click in a TextEdit document to access the Grab service, for instance.
In addition, the revamped Keyboard preference pane lets you manage services for the first time ever. You can enable and disable them, and even change their keyboard shortcuts.
Other articles in the series All About iPhoto
- iPhoto 5.0.2 Freeze on Launch in Tiger (16 May 05)
- iPhoto 5: New Features Abound, Limitations Remain (09 May 05)
- iPhoto 4.0.3 Released (09 Aug 04)
- iPhoto 4.0.1 Fixes Bugs (29 Mar 04)
- iPhoto 4: The Potential Remains (23 Feb 04)
- Adam's iPhoto 2 Visual QuickStart Guide Available (19 May 03)
- iPhoto 2 Steps into the Frame (03 Feb 03)
- iPhoto Power Techniques (19 Aug 02)
- iPhoto Book Now Available (01 Jul 02)
- Do More with iPhoto 1.1.1 (13 May 02)
- iPhoto Joins the iFold (07 Jan 02)
Published in TidBITS 788.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Revenue Balloons to $3.5 Billion in Third Quarter
- Final Cut Studio Updates Available
- Apple Sells Its 500 Millionth Track
- Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update
- AirPort 4.2 Software Supports WPA2
- Macworld Boston 2005: An Intimate Affair
- Macworld Boston 2005 Best of Show Awards
- Starting My Very Own G4 Fan Club
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/18-Jul-05