DoorStop X 1.0 Enhances Mac OS X's Firewall -- Back in 1998, Open Door Networks shipped DoorStop, the first firewall for the Mac. The program was subsequently licensed to Symantec for Norton Personal Firewall, and now Open Door has released DoorStop X, a new version for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and 10.4 Tiger. Although Mac OS X has had a built-in firewall since Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, and the version in Tiger finally offers rudimentary logging of denied access attempts, DoorStop X provides far better logging (particularly in concert with Open Door's Who's There? Firewall Advisor utility) of both allowed and denied access attempts. DoorStop also features a more graphical interface that makes it easier to understand your configuration at a glance, and most important, the program enables you to open up a particular port to a specific IP address or range of IP addresses, thus eliminating the all-or-nothing approach of Mac OS X's built-in firewall. Through 15-Aug-05, DoorStop X costs $40, or $60 when bundled with Who's There. Educational discounts are available for multiple license packs. A fully functional trial version (2.2. MB download) works for 30 days; Who's There has a fully functional, 10-day trial version (also 2.2. MB). [ACE]
Delete All Comments in Word in a Flash
You needn't clear comments in a Word document one by one. Instead, bring out the big guns to delete all of them at once:
1. Chose Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.
2. Under Categories, select Tools.
3. Under Commands, select DeleteAllCommentsInDoc.
4. With the insertion point in the "Press new keyboard shortcut" field, press keys to create a keyboard shortcut. (I use Control-7)
5. Click the Assign button.
6. Click OK.
You can now press your keyboard shortcut to zap out the comments.
The steps above work in Word 2008; they likely work nearly as described in older versions of Word.
Published in TidBITS 789.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- OmniWeb 5.1.1 Released
- Apple Discloses, Limits .Mac Bandwidth Transfers
- Yahoo Gets With a New Konfab
- Adam Talks about Macworld Expo on Tech Night Owl
- iMix Playlist Representing Apple History
- Sonos Adds Mac Desktop Controller
- Old Macs Don't Just Fade Away
- Running with a Garmin Forerunner GPS
- Take Control News/25-Jul-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/25-Jul-05
DoorStop X 1.0 Enhances Mac OS X's Firewall
Experience pro-level features like iCloud Drive, palm protection,
a new easy-to-use iOS 8 interface and more! Get full-featured PDF
editing power in a mobile app today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen2-ios-tb>