Simon 2 Says: Monitor Your Server -- Dejal Software has released Simon 2, a major update to their server monitoring utility. Simon performs repetitive checks on a remote Internet service and reports back if the test fails and, if so, when the service comes back online. Simon can also watch Web pages for changes. The most important new feature is a Port service that provides the capability to check virtually any server type; that's key for keeping tabs on POP, IMAP, SMTP, AFP, DHCP, and other servers that weren't previous supported. Simon can notify you of problems with a variety of local actions, via email (which can enable text messages to cell phones), by launching an application (which extends Simon's reach even further), by playing a sound, or by speaking pre-defined text. Simon 2 also features a more flexible interface that better lends itself to the creation and maintenance of many tests and multiple notifiers. Simon 2 costs $30 (Basic License: 7 tests), $60 (Standard License: 20 tests), or $200 (Enterprise: unlimited number of tests). It's a 3.4 MB download. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- DealBITS Drawing: Dejal Simon (26 Sep 05)