Maxum Development Sponsoring TidBITS -- We're pleased to welcome our latest long-term sponsor, Maxum Development. I've known John O'Fallon of Maxum for many years, ever since Maxum got its start in the heady days of the mid-1990s Internet by creating the essential add-ons NetForms and NetCloak for Macs running the WebSTAR Web server. Nowadays, Maxum is best known for Rumpus, their industrial-strength file transfer server. Although transferring files around is conceptually simple, setting up an FTP server and training everyone to use it can be time-consuming and frustrating. Rumpus improves on the standard FTP server by providing simple installation and setup, email- and AppleScript-based file upload notices, real-time activity graphs, built-in log rolling, folder-by-folder access restrictions, Web-based user administration, automatically expiring user accounts, user account size and transfer restrictions, and more. From the user standpoint, Rumpus is easier to interact with because it works with all major FTP clients and also provides Web File Manager, a built-in Web server that enables users to upload and download from any Web browser using a customizable interface that's far better than standard browser FTP support. Rumpus also works in both Mac OS X and in Mac OS 8/9, making it easy to press an older Mac into service as a file transfer server. So, if you want more file transfer power, flexibility, and ease-of-use for you and your users, be sure to check out the free trial version of Rumpus. (And if you're running a server of any sort, Simon, from our other new sponsor, Dejal Systems, can help you monitor it.) [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Published in TidBITS 795.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iKey 2.1 Moves to iApp-like Interface
- Default Folder X 2.0.2 Now Available
- Now Up-to-Date & Contact Updated to 5.0.4
- Tiger Still Resists Showing Preferred Networks
- DealBITS Drawing: MathMagic Personal Edition Winners
- Net Responds to Hurricane Katrina Aftermath
- Netopia Adds Security, Multiple Monitors to Timbuktu Pro 8.5
- Make Your Own Menu in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint
- Talk for Free with FreeConference.com
- Take Control News/05-Sep-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Sep-05