Now Up-to-Date & Contact Updated to 5.0.4 -- Now Software last week released version 5.0.3 and then 5.0.4 of their powerful calendaring and contact management suite, fixing a number of bugs and cosmetic problems, improving performance, and adding a few small capabilities, such as Snooze All/Dismiss All buttons in the event reminder dialog, several new toolbar buttons, support for Word 2004 in QuickMerge, and more. Plus, our "Take Control of Now Up-to-Date & Contact" ebook manual is now included in the distribution package; it's in the Now Up-to-Date & Contact Docs folder in the Applications folder. The upgrade is highly recommended and is free for all registered users of Now Up-to-Date & Contact 5. [ACE]
Syslogd Overwhelming Your Computer?
If your Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) system is unexpectedly sluggish, logging might be the culprit. Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/ folder), and click the CPU column twice to get it to show most to least activity. If syslogd is at the top of the list, there's a fix. Syslogd tracks informational messages produced by software and writes them to the asl.db, a file in your Unix /var/log/ directory. It's a known problem that syslogd can run amok. There's a fix: deleting the asl.db file.
Launch Terminal (from the same Utilities folder), and enter these commands exactly as written, entering your administrative password when prompted:
sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd
sudo rm /var/log/asl.db
sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd
Your system should settle down to normal. For more information, follow the link.
Published in TidBITS 795.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Maxum Development Sponsoring TidBITS
- iKey 2.1 Moves to iApp-like Interface
- Default Folder X 2.0.2 Now Available
- Tiger Still Resists Showing Preferred Networks
- DealBITS Drawing: MathMagic Personal Edition Winners
- Net Responds to Hurricane Katrina Aftermath
- Netopia Adds Security, Multiple Monitors to Timbuktu Pro 8.5
- Make Your Own Menu in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint
- Talk for Free with FreeConference.com
- Take Control News/05-Sep-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Sep-05