SETI@home Moves to BOINC Client -- If you're anything like me, you don't pay much, if any, attention to SETI@home clients you may have running on machines with CPU cycles to donate to the search for extraterrestrial life. But Jim Carr, one of the top members of the TidBITS SETI team, alerted me recently that the classic SETI@home client is being turned off as of 15-Dec-05, and everyone who wants to continue donating spare CPU cycles must move to the new BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) client that supports not just SETI@home, but a variety of other distributed computing projects. The SETI@home page has the necessary instructions for downloading the latest BOINC client and requesting your account information. Unfortunately, it's a slightly obtuse process, and I wasn't able to convince BOINC to attach to the SETI@home project, but the error message implied temporary server problems (which the SETI@home folks have mentioned on their news page). I recommend waiting a bit before converting; either check the SETI@home site every so often to see if they've resolved their technical difficulties or look for another note in TidBITS. If you're new to the SETI@home project and want to join the TidBITS team, follow the third link below and click Join once there. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard
Published in TidBITS 809.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Firefox 1.5 Released
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale Winners
- DealBITS Drawing: Classic Solitaire
- Prograph Spelled Backwards Is Marten
- NBC Universal Brings More TV to iTunes
- Flashblock Update for Firefox 1.5
- Non-Apple Wi-Fi Options Expand for Mac Users
- Reality and Digital Pictures
- Take Control News/12-Dec-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/12-Dec-05