SETI@home Moves to BOINC Client -- If you're anything like me, you don't pay much, if any, attention to SETI@home clients you may have running on machines with CPU cycles to donate to the search for extraterrestrial life. But Jim Carr, one of the top members of the TidBITS SETI team, alerted me recently that the classic SETI@home client is being turned off as of 15-Dec-05, and everyone who wants to continue donating spare CPU cycles must move to the new BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) client that supports not just SETI@home, but a variety of other distributed computing projects. The SETI@home page has the necessary instructions for downloading the latest BOINC client and requesting your account information. Unfortunately, it's a slightly obtuse process, and I wasn't able to convince BOINC to attach to the SETI@home project, but the error message implied temporary server problems (which the SETI@home folks have mentioned on their news page). I recommend waiting a bit before converting; either check the SETI@home site every so often to see if they've resolved their technical difficulties or look for another note in TidBITS. If you're new to the SETI@home project and want to join the TidBITS team, follow the third link below and click Join once there. [ACE]
Add Hyperlinks to TextExpander Snippets
You can include a clickable link in a TextExpander snippet. Here's how:
- Create a new snippet.
- From the Content menu (just above the snippet body), choose Content: Formatted Text, Picture.
- Put a full URL in the snippet body, such as http://www.smilesoftware.com/
- Control-click the link text and choose Make Link from the pop-up menu.
After you've made the link, you can replace the visible URL with other text. Just put your cursor in the active link text and make changes as you would with any other text.
Published in TidBITS 809.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Firefox 1.5 Released
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale Winners
- DealBITS Drawing: Classic Solitaire
- Prograph Spelled Backwards Is Marten
- NBC Universal Brings More TV to iTunes
- Flashblock Update for Firefox 1.5
- Non-Apple Wi-Fi Options Expand for Mac Users
- Reality and Digital Pictures
- Take Control News/12-Dec-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/12-Dec-05