SETI@home Moves to BOINC Client -- If you're anything like me, you don't pay much, if any, attention to SETI@home clients you may have running on machines with CPU cycles to donate to the search for extraterrestrial life. But Jim Carr, one of the top members of the TidBITS SETI team, alerted me recently that the classic SETI@home client is being turned off as of 15-Dec-05, and everyone who wants to continue donating spare CPU cycles must move to the new BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) client that supports not just SETI@home, but a variety of other distributed computing projects. The SETI@home page has the necessary instructions for downloading the latest BOINC client and requesting your account information. Unfortunately, it's a slightly obtuse process, and I wasn't able to convince BOINC to attach to the SETI@home project, but the error message implied temporary server problems (which the SETI@home folks have mentioned on their news page). I recommend waiting a bit before converting; either check the SETI@home site every so often to see if they've resolved their technical difficulties or look for another note in TidBITS. If you're new to the SETI@home project and want to join the TidBITS team, follow the third link below and click Join once there. [ACE]
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
Published in TidBITS 809.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Firefox 1.5 Released
- DealBITS Drawing: GarageSale Winners
- DealBITS Drawing: Classic Solitaire
- Prograph Spelled Backwards Is Marten
- NBC Universal Brings More TV to iTunes
- Flashblock Update for Firefox 1.5
- Non-Apple Wi-Fi Options Expand for Mac Users
- Reality and Digital Pictures
- Take Control News/12-Dec-05
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/12-Dec-05