Skype 1.4 Released for Mac -- Skype decided to release the final Mac version of their flagship voice and instant messaging program just as Macworld Expo started, ensuring that new features such as call forwarding and iTunes pause/resume would be lost in the shuffle. The new forwarding feature means that someone can call your Skype account and you can forward that call off to a real phone number, such as a cell phone. The incoming call can be made either from another copy of Skype to your Skype account name, or, if you have paid separately for this feature, to a SkypeIn number, which maps a real telephone number to your Skype account. Forwarding costs a few cents a minute to most landlines worldwide and to many cell phone systems in the U.S. and abroad. It's not unified messaging, but it's another step in having your calls follow you (when you want them to). Skype's Mac version has lagged the Windows version's feature and releases, and version 1.4 lacks the video conferencing that's available on that other platform, although that video support has been generally criticized as being less than state of the art. [GF]
Add Notes to Pre-existing Recordings in Pear Note
While most people think of Pear Note as a tool for recording notes live, it can be used to take notes on pre-existing recordings as well. If you have an audio or video recording that you'd like to take notes on in Pear Note, simply:
- Drag the audio/video file to Pear Note and import it into a new document.
- Hit play.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
Now you can take notes that will be synced to the recording, just as if you'd recorded them live.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 812.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Mac OS X 10.4.4 Released
- iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4 Released
- Adobe Offers Public Beta of Lightroom
- Pro Video Apps Now Only in Final Cut Studio
- Macworld Expo SF 2006: Exuding Confidence
- Intel-Based iMac and MacBook Pro Ship Earlier than Expected
- iLife '06 and iWork '06 Released
- Macworld Expo 2006 Superlatives
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/16-Jan-06