Apple Telecom 3.0 Released -- Today Apple officially released Apple Telecom 3.0, which finally offers 28.8 Kbps speeds to GeoPort users. The update comes in two flavors: the commercial GeoPort Telecom Adapter Kit (expected to be available in the U.S. and Japan in December) and the free GeoPort & Express Modem Updater 3.0. Apple expects to sell the GeoPort Telecom Adapter Kit for approximately $130, and the kit will include a GeoPort pod, the Apple Internet Connection Kit, and a suite of new communications-oriented programs including fax, answering machine, and speakerphone capabilities. The free GeoPort & Express Modem Updater is available online as two disk images, and lets GeoPort owners with Power Macs achieve speeds up to 28.8 Kbps. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software