iPhoto 6.0.4 Adds New Themes -- Apple has released iPhoto 6.0.4, an update to the popular photo-management application that fixes... well, nothing, apparently. Instead, the 36.4 MB download available directly or via Software Update adds new themes to the Greeting Card and Postcard features "including invite and thank you card designs for summer parties, weddings, birthdays, etc.," according to Apple. Unfortunately, because Apple stores iPhoto themes within the iPhoto application package (instead of separately, as with iDVD 6 for example), adding new themes means downloading the entire application. Unless Apple has snuck in some other fixes without documenting them, this hardly counts as an essential update (though if you're printing cards, the update is more appealing). [JLC]
Option-Click AirPort Menu for Network Details
If you hold down the Option key while clicking the AirPort menu in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, you'll see not just the names of nearby Wi-Fi networks, but additional details about the selected network. Details include the MAC address of the network, the channel used by the base station, the signal strength (a negative number; the closer to zero it is, the stronger the signal), and the transmit rate in megabits per second showing actual network throughput. If you hover the cursor over the name of a network to which you're not connected, a little yellow pop-up shows the signal strength and type of encryption.
Published in TidBITS 835.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Interarchy 8.1 Adds Amazon S3 Support
- Universal Shake 4.1 Drops in Price
- FlickrExport 2.0 Enables Easy iPhoto Uploading
- Apple Updates Aperture, Pro Applications Frameworks
- Web Crossing Neighbors Creates Private Social Networks
- QuickerTek Extends Laptop Range
- The Mystery of the Recalcitrant Photoshop Files
- Unintelligible Garbage Is Your Friend
- Take Control News/26-Jun-06
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/26-Jun-06