iPhoto 6.0.4 Adds New Themes -- Apple has released iPhoto 6.0.4, an update to the popular photo-management application that fixes... well, nothing, apparently. Instead, the 36.4 MB download available directly or via Software Update adds new themes to the Greeting Card and Postcard features "including invite and thank you card designs for summer parties, weddings, birthdays, etc.," according to Apple. Unfortunately, because Apple stores iPhoto themes within the iPhoto application package (instead of separately, as with iDVD 6 for example), adding new themes means downloading the entire application. Unless Apple has snuck in some other fixes without documenting them, this hardly counts as an essential update (though if you're printing cards, the update is more appealing). [JLC]
Smarter Parental Controls
If you've been using the parental controls options in Mac OS X to lock your child out of using a particular computer late at night, but would like to employ a more clever technique to limit Internet access, turn to MAC address filtering on an Apple base station.
To do this, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and click Manual Setup. In the Access Control view, choose Time Access to turn on MAC filtering. You'll need to enter the MAC address of the particular computer, which (in 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard) you can find in the Network System Preferences pane: click AirPort in the adapter list, and click Advanced. The AirPort ID is the MAC address.
Published in TidBITS 835.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Interarchy 8.1 Adds Amazon S3 Support
- Universal Shake 4.1 Drops in Price
- FlickrExport 2.0 Enables Easy iPhoto Uploading
- Apple Updates Aperture, Pro Applications Frameworks
- Web Crossing Neighbors Creates Private Social Networks
- QuickerTek Extends Laptop Range
- The Mystery of the Recalcitrant Photoshop Files
- Unintelligible Garbage Is Your Friend
- Take Control News/26-Jun-06
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/26-Jun-06