Take Control Tackles Thanksgiving Dinner -- A quick note for our Canadian friends: if you're thinking about Thanksgiving on October 9th, take a look at our just-released "Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner." It's a very cool experiment in applying Joe Kissell's skills in breaking a complex task into easily accomplished steps. Joe has walked thousands of people through upgrading Mac OS X, setting up backups, and maintaining their Macs, but those tasks are nothing compared to hosting Thanksgiving dinner. We've all put a ton of work into designing the ebook to help with planning and cooking a huge meal, including a 19-page "Print Me" file that contains shopping lists, recipes to tape up in your kitchen, and customizable schedules to keep everything on track. You can think of the ebook as a "Getting Things Done" approach to Thanksgiving, or a geek's guide to the most complex meal most of us will ever prepare. (If you're in the U.S., you have some time before worrying about Thanksgiving, and for anyone elsewhere in the world, Thanksgiving dinner is mostly an opportunity for culinary tourism.)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 848.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
Take Control News/25-Sep-06
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Tom Clark, Juande Santander Vela, Mark Alexander,
and anon for their generous support!