Apple released firmware updates for its line of Intel-based Macs last week, addressing Boot Camp, start up, and wake-from-sleep issues. Be sure to follow the directions (worth printing out) when applying the updates; instructions for creating a Firmware Restoration CD are also available. The updates affect all Intel-based Mac models, and are available via Software Update or by direct download: MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.2 (2.7 MB), iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (6.1 MB), MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.0 (1.6 MB), Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (1.6 MB), and Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (1.6 MB).
How Loud Are Your Mac's Fans?
When they get hot, Macs turn on various internal fans to keep components cool. The noise can be annoying, but just how loud is it? If you have an iOS device with a built-in microphone, you can download one of many free sound meter apps (search on
decibel in the App Store) and see if you're subjecting your ears to a truly unreasonable noise level.
Published in TidBITS 856.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Thanksgiving Hiatus: Next Issue 04-Dec-06
- Submit Your Holiday 2006 Gift Ideas
- Apple Remote Desktop 3.1 Adds Lights-Out Management
- PTHPasteboard Really Returns, Adds Pro Version
- iFly Me!
- MindManager Comes to the Mac
- More Bang, Less Bucks for My MacBook Pro
- Retrospect vs. Sparse Disk Image Files
- Take Control News/20-Nov-06
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/20-Nov-06
Apple Updates Firmware for Intel-based Macs
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>