If you've been thinking about picking up a copy of the TidBITS Archive CD, I encourage you to act soon, because the $29.95 introductory offer expires 31-Jan-07, and the price will be going up to $49.95 after that. For details of what's included, see "Introducing the TidBITS Archive CD" (2007-01-08).
Copy Existing Filename to 'Save As' Field
While many utilities provide file naming automation, they're mostly overkill for those cases when you need to make small variations in file content while ensuring the documents group together in a "by name" list.
In the Save As dialog, the default name is the current document name. You can quickly change this to match any existing file.
1. Make the list of files the active element.
2. Click on a grayed-out filename, which momentarily turns black.
3. The Save As field now contains the filename you just clicked.
You can modify the name (adding, say, "version 3") or overwrite that existing file you clicked.
- Introducing the TidBITS Archive CD (08 Jan 07)
Published in TidBITS 864.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- More Macworld Expo Commentary
- Manage Your TidBITS Subscriptions
- DealBITS Drawing: Billable
- Security Holes: Two Closed, One Opened
- Photoshop Lightroom 1.0 Set to Ship
- Daylight Saving Time May Bite the Out-of-Date
- Fog Is My Copilot
- AirPort Extreme 802.11n Throughput Limits
- MacFUSE Explodes Options for Mac File Systems
- CSSEdit 2 to the Rescue!
- Take Control News/29-Jan-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/29-Jan-07