Congratulations to Steve Green of cox.net, Ed Mullin of ewmullin.com, Matthew MacKay of upei.ca, and Steve Cronin of austin.rr.com, whose entries were chosen randomly in last week's DealBITS drawing and who received a copy of Clickable Bliss's Billable, worth $24.95. TidBITS readers who didn't win can still save 20 percent through 14-Feb-07 when purchasing Billable; use coupon code "tidbits1" when placing your order. Thanks again to the 388 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you'll continue to participate in the future.
Syslogd Overwhelming Your Computer?
If your Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) system is unexpectedly sluggish, logging might be the culprit. Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/ folder), and click the CPU column twice to get it to show most to least activity. If syslogd is at the top of the list, there's a fix. Syslogd tracks informational messages produced by software and writes them to the asl.db, a file in your Unix /var/log/ directory. It's a known problem that syslogd can run amok. There's a fix: deleting the asl.db file.
Launch Terminal (from the same Utilities folder), and enter these commands exactly as written, entering your administrative password when prompted:
sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd
sudo rm /var/log/asl.db
sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd
Your system should settle down to normal. For more information, follow the link.
- DealBITS Drawing: Billable (29 Jan 07)
Published in TidBITS 865.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Inc. and Apple Corps Enter New Agreement
- iPod shuffle Now Colorful
- The Ultimate Mac Basement
- DealBITS Drawing: SmileOnMyMac Productivity Suite
- Nolobe Takes Over Interarchy; 8.5 Ships
- Macinstruct Opens Mac Tutorial Contest
- Open Door Networks Updates Security Products
- Computer Security: Who's Responsible?
- Apple Ships 802.11n Base Station and Enabler
- Build Your Own 23-inch MacBook
- Take Control News/05-Feb-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Feb-07