One of the most entertaining Macintosh radio shows/podcasts is Shawn King's Your Mac Life, which had to change its domain name last week. So if you're looking for Your Mac Life on Wednesday evenings at its normally scheduled time of 5:30 PM Pacific/8:30 PM Eastern, head over to www.yourmaclifeshow.com instead of www.yourmaclife.com. Among others, guests last week included iTunes guru Chris Breen of Macworld, Matt Deatherage of MacJournals.com running down Apple news so far in 2007, and YML's server admin Aaron Adams, who talked about how to use your Mac to take photos of the coming total lunar eclipse on 03-Mar-07. You can listen to the show at the YML archives.
Mysteriously Moving Margins in Word
In Microsoft Word 2008 (and older versions), if you put your cursor in a paragraph and then move a tab or indent marker in the ruler, the change applies to just that paragraph. If your markers are closely spaced, you may have trouble grabbing the right one, and inadvertently work with tabs when you want to work with indents, or vice-versa. The solution is to hover your mouse over the marker until a yellow tooltip confirms which element you're about to drag.
I recently came to appreciate the importance of waiting for those tooltips: a document mysteriously reset its margins several times while I was under deadline pressure, causing a variety of problems. After several hours of puzzlement, I had my "doh!" moment: I had been dragging a margin marker when I thought I was dragging an indent marker.
When it comes to moving markers in the Word ruler, the moral of the story is always to hover, read, and only then drag.
Published in TidBITS 868.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Please Take the TidBITS 2007 Reader Survey!
- Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 Update Fixes Plug-in Issues
- DealBITS Winners: A Sharp's Opal
- DealBITS Drawing: Panergy's docXConverter Premium
- Apple and Cisco Reach iPhone Agreement
- Concentrate on Reading in Preview
- Early Help Desk Video Gone and Back Again
- Apple Adds Significant Cell Data Support
- Easier New York Times Linking
- CrashPlan: Backups Revisited
- Take Control News/26-Feb-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/26-Feb-07