One of the most entertaining Macintosh radio shows/podcasts is Shawn King's Your Mac Life, which had to change its domain name last week. So if you're looking for Your Mac Life on Wednesday evenings at its normally scheduled time of 5:30 PM Pacific/8:30 PM Eastern, head over to www.yourmaclifeshow.com instead of www.yourmaclife.com. Among others, guests last week included iTunes guru Chris Breen of Macworld, Matt Deatherage of MacJournals.com running down Apple news so far in 2007, and YML's server admin Aaron Adams, who talked about how to use your Mac to take photos of the coming total lunar eclipse on 03-Mar-07. You can listen to the show at the YML archives.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 868.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Please Take the TidBITS 2007 Reader Survey!
- Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 Update Fixes Plug-in Issues
- DealBITS Winners: A Sharp's Opal
- DealBITS Drawing: Panergy's docXConverter Premium
- Apple and Cisco Reach iPhone Agreement
- Concentrate on Reading in Preview
- Early Help Desk Video Gone and Back Again
- Apple Adds Significant Cell Data Support
- Easier New York Times Linking
- CrashPlan: Backups Revisited
- Take Control News/26-Feb-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/26-Feb-07
Your Mac Life Changes Domains
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as "Tx" for "TextExpander". With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and