We often wonder how many of us there are. While Apple occasionally shares the number of active Mac OS X users, it has been a while since the last update. Eight months ago in August 2006 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, Steve Jobs said there were 19 million active Mac OS X users. Keith Bachman, an analyst at Bank of America Securities, now quotes a higher number in an AppleInsider article: 22 million users of all versions of Mac OS X. Bank of America Securities estimates an increase of 6 million Mac users since the release of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in June 2005. It's also highly likely that there are uncounted millions of users still using Mac OS 9 and earlier.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
Published in TidBITS 869.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- ExtraBITS Transitions to TidBITS Publishing System
- QuickTime 7.1.5 Patches Panther, Tiger, XP, Vista Exploits
- Parallels Desktop 2.0 Ships
- New Interviews with Adam and Joe
- Macworld Expo Sessions Available for Download
- DealBITS Winners: Panergy's docXConverter Premium
- Security Hacker Returned to Life
- Lessons on Internet Surveys
- iConcertCal: Your Gig-Going Pal
- Picnik Duplicates iPhoto on the Web
- Mac OS X's Mouse Acceleration Problem
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Mar-07