We often wonder how many of us there are. While Apple occasionally shares the number of active Mac OS X users, it has been a while since the last update. Eight months ago in August 2006 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, Steve Jobs said there were 19 million active Mac OS X users. Keith Bachman, an analyst at Bank of America Securities, now quotes a higher number in an AppleInsider article: 22 million users of all versions of Mac OS X. Bank of America Securities estimates an increase of 6 million Mac users since the release of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in June 2005. It's also highly likely that there are uncounted millions of users still using Mac OS 9 and earlier.
Find Your Mac's Serial Number
Want to check your Mac's serial number quickly and easily? Select About This Mac from the Apple menu, and click on the text directly below "Mac OS X" that reads "Version 10.x.x." Click once and you'll get a build number which is more specific information about the software. Click twice, and you'll get your Mac's serial number.
Visit MacTipster Blog
Published in TidBITS 869.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- ExtraBITS Transitions to TidBITS Publishing System
- QuickTime 7.1.5 Patches Panther, Tiger, XP, Vista Exploits
- Parallels Desktop 2.0 Ships
- New Interviews with Adam and Joe
- Macworld Expo Sessions Available for Download
- DealBITS Winners: Panergy's docXConverter Premium
- Security Hacker Returned to Life
- Lessons on Internet Surveys
- iConcertCal: Your Gig-Going Pal
- Picnik Duplicates iPhoto on the Web
- Mac OS X's Mouse Acceleration Problem
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/05-Mar-07