Michael Tsai has released SpamSieve 2.6, a notable update to his popular spam-filtering tool. This version adds Mozilla Thunderbird to the extensive list of supported email programs and improves detection of image spam and phishing messages. Both are tricky to identify, the former due to either a complete lack of text or to a great deal of random text along with the image payload, and the latter because the text so closely mimics normal messages. Other improvements include more efficient AppleScript support, improved compatibility with pre-release versions of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and a variety of minor tweaks to the Apple Mail plug-in. SpamSieve 2.6 is a free upgrade for registered users; new copies cost $30 and there's a 30-day trial version. The program requires any version of Mac OS X after 10.2.8, with 10.4 or later recommended.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard