Apple last week released Boot Camp 1.2 beta, the latest version of its software for enabling Intel-based Macs to boot into Microsoft Windows. This is likely to be the final update to Boot Camp before the release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which according to Apple will include a release version of Boot Camp (though there's still much speculation about what form Boot Camp will take in Leopard). Boot Camp 1.2's most prominent new feature is support for Windows Vista (but only 32-bit versions for now), which previously required awkward hacks. Also new in this beta are updated drivers for numerous Apple devices including trackpads and iSight cameras, support within Windows for the Apple Remote, the inclusion of Apple Software Update (to update Apple software within Windows), and numerous other improvements. It's a 138 MB download.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 873.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- April Foolishness 2007
- iTunes, You Complete Me
- Blogosphere Uproar
- DealBITS Winners: BeLight Software's Art Text
- Apple and EMI Offer DRM-Free Music via iTunes
- Adobe Announces Creative Suite 3 Plans, Pricing, Dates
- Best Buy Buys Speakeasy: Doom, Despair?
- Switching My Mother to the Mac
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/02-Apr-07