Like most other Mac users, when I'm travelling, I often need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to access the Internet for email and Web browsing. But what if there are multiple available networks and I don't know which would be best to use? In the past, I would usually bring up iStumbler (MacStumbler hasn't been updated in years), but Take Control author Sharon Zardetto Aker alerted me to a simpler method that's built into Mac OS X. If you hold down the Option key when dropping the AirPort status menu, it lists available networks in order of signal strength, rather than the usual (and useless) alphabetical sort. Simple, yet effective, although the signal strength sort should arguably be the default, not the hidden option. Alas, the AirPort menu doesn't indicate which networks require a password for access. If you run into that problem regularly and don't mind running extra software all the time, check out Christoph Sinai's CoconutWiFi, which provides a constantly updating indicator of wireless network accessibility (see "CoconutWiFi Reveals Nearby Networks, Status," 2006-09-11).
View Silver Screen Media on Your Apple TV from another Disk
Want to watch movies via Silver Screen that aren't in your Movies folder? Just create an alias in your Movies directory and select that as your Media Directory in Silver Screen's preferences. It will even be automatically mounted if needed when the folder is browsed in Silver Screen. To make the alias, mount the server or other disk in the Finder, locate the folder containing the movies and Command-Option-drag the folder's icon into your Movies directory.
Visit Page Zero Software
- coconutWiFi Reveals Nearby Networks, Status (11 Sep 06)
Published in TidBITS 874.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Introduces Eight-Core Mac Pros
- More on Apple/EMI and DRM-Free Music
- Google Desktop Comes to the Mac
- VMware Fusion Beta 3 Draws New Parallels
- Step on a WEP Crack, Break Your Network's Back
- Use iPods Cautiously While Driving
- 3G iPod Owners Beware Compatibility Claims
- Online Backup Options Expand
- Take Control News/09-Apr-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/09-Apr-07