Last week VMware released Beta 3 of its Fusion virtualization software for running Windows on an Intel-based Mac. Among several new features are two that are obvious attempts to overcome advantages offered by competitor Parallels Desktop: support for booting from a copy of Windows installed under Boot Camp and an Easy Install option to automate the process of running the Windows installer. This version also includes performance improvements and a simplification in the way virtual machines are packaged, among other changes. Fusion beta 3 is a 135 MB download.
Find Text Leading from Acrobat PDF
Ever have to recreate a document from an Acrobat PDF? You can find out most everything about the text by using the Object Inspector, except the leading. Well, here's a cheesy way to figure it out. Open the PDF in Illustrator (you just need one page). Release any and all clipping masks. Draw a guide at the baseline of the first line of text, and one on the line below. Now, Option-drag the first line to make a copy, and position it exactly next to the original first line at baseline. Then put a return anywhere in the copied line. Now adjust leading of the copied lines, so that the second line of copy rests on the baseline of the second line of the original. Now you know your leading.
Or you could buy expensive software to find the leading. Your choice.
Published in TidBITS 874.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Introduces Eight-Core Mac Pros
- Find Strongest Wi-Fi Networks Easily
- More on Apple/EMI and DRM-Free Music
- Google Desktop Comes to the Mac
- Step on a WEP Crack, Break Your Network's Back
- Use iPods Cautiously While Driving
- 3G iPod Owners Beware Compatibility Claims
- Online Backup Options Expand
- Take Control News/09-Apr-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/09-Apr-07