Apple has released MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, which fixes a number of unspecified problems with 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro models. According to a post at MacFixIt, the update appears to patch several issues with the Nvidia graphics cards and may solve an issue with "shimmering" display issues. The update is available via Software Update on the affected machines, or as a 14.7 MB download.
Mac OS X Services in Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Services let one application supply its powers to another; for example, a Grab service helps TextEdit paste a screenshot into a document. Most users either don't know that Services exist, because they're in an obscure hierarchical menu (ApplicationName > Services), or they mostly don't use them because there are so many of them.
Snow Leopard makes it easier for the uninitiated to utilize this feature; only services appropriate to the current context appear. And in addition to the hierarchical menu, services are discoverable as custom contextual menu items - Control-click in a TextEdit document to access the Grab service, for instance.
In addition, the revamped Keyboard preference pane lets you manage services for the first time ever. You can enable and disable them, and even change their keyboard shortcuts.
Published in TidBITS 886.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Adobe Ships Rest of Creative Suite 3
- Universal Rejects Long-Term Apple iTunes Contract
- PDFpen 3.2 Adds Editing Marks
- Final Cut Studio 2 Applications, SuperDrive Firmware Updated
- DealBITS Discount: 4 GB iPod nano from Small Dog
- iTunes 7.3 Adds iPhone, Apple TV Features
- iPhone Voice, Data Plans Reasonably Priced, but Missing Wi-Fi
- Staff Roundtable: Who's Buying an iPhone?
- My First Days with the iPhone
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/02-Jul-07