Mac OS Runtime for Java -- Apple has posted a pre-release of Mac OS Runtime for Java, which is essentially designed to put a Java virtual machine into the Mac OS. I can't honestly recommend this release to anyone but Java and OpenDoc fanatics, but the runtime does allow users to run Java applets in a stand-alone viewer and within an OpenDoc document. It runs on any Mac with a 68030 or better and System 7.5. Apple says the Java runtime will work with the shipping version of Cyberdog 1.1 (due very shortly), but it doesn't work with previous versions, including Cyberdog 1.1 betas. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.