Bare Bones Software has released BBEdit 8.7, a notable update to the company's powerful HTML and text editor. Significant changes include support for smart folders as sources for text factories and multi-file search operations, the capability to re-open on launch documents that were open as of the last quit, support for alternative terminal applications, AppleScript improvements, better language module support for Python, and support for the programming language Lua. Bare Bones also rewrote BBEdit's File Group feature, which lets you collect a set of files and folders into a single persistent (and automatically updated) window, and enhanced the disk browser feature that makes it easy to browse through text files on disk. Numerous other changes and bug fixes round out the release; it's overall cleaner and more functional. BBEdit 8.7 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later and is a universal binary. The update is a 15.2 MB download and is free to registered users of BBEdit 8.5 or later; owners of versions 8.0 to 8.2.6 can upgrade for $30. New copies cost $125 for individuals or $49 for educational customers.
Smarter Parental Controls
If you've been using the parental controls options in Mac OS X to lock your child out of using a particular computer late at night, but would like to employ a more clever technique to limit Internet access, turn to MAC address filtering on an Apple base station.
To do this, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and click Manual Setup. In the Access Control view, choose Time Access to turn on MAC filtering. You'll need to enter the MAC address of the particular computer, which (in 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard) you can find in the Network System Preferences pane: click AirPort in the adapter list, and click Advanced. The AirPort ID is the MAC address.
Published in TidBITS 891.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Releases Mac OS X, Safari 3, and iPhone Security Updates
- AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004 Released
- iTunes 7.3.2 Fixes Unspecified Bugs
- VMware Announces Fusion 1.0 Release
- Microsoft Office 2008 Slips to January
- Microsoft Releases RDC and XML Converter Betas
- Missing Sync 4.0 Supports Latest Windows Mobile Devices
- Fake Steve Jobs Finally Unmasked
- PopCap Pops iPhone Productivity
- Curing Your LaunchBar Addiction
- Freecycle: Disposing of Good Old Stuff
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/06-Aug-07