Congratulations to Mark Hom of gmail.com, Mike Johnson of iwon.com, Bob Leedom of comcast.net, and Larry Whitehead of uab.edu, whose entries were chosen randomly in the last DealBITS drawing and who received a copy of Sonora Graphics' Name Munger, worth $10. Also receiving a copy is Alexa MeeKwon Whitehead, who referred Larry to DealBITS. But don't fret if you didn't win, since Sonora Graphics is offering all TidBITS readers a 20 percent discount on Name Munger through 26-Sep-07, dropping the price to $8. To take advantage of this offer, use coupon code "SGNM-DealBITS-0907" when ordering. Thanks to the 555 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you'll continue to participate in the future!
- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Mac OS X Services in Snow Leopard
Mac OS X Services let one application supply its powers to another; for example, a Grab service helps TextEdit paste a screenshot into a document. Most users either don't know that Services exist, because they're in an obscure hierarchical menu (ApplicationName > Services), or they mostly don't use them because there are so many of them.
Snow Leopard makes it easier for the uninitiated to utilize this feature; only services appropriate to the current context appear. And in addition to the hierarchical menu, services are discoverable as custom contextual menu items - Control-click in a TextEdit document to access the Grab service, for instance.
In addition, the revamped Keyboard preference pane lets you manage services for the first time ever. You can enable and disable them, and even change their keyboard shortcuts.
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of Name Munger (10 Sep 07)
Published in TidBITS 896.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iPhone $100 Store Credit Process Posted
- Apple Releases iMac, iLife, Pro Application Updates
- Handsfree iPhone Call Leads to Ticket
- Deciding Between the iPhone and iPod touch
- Mac Market Share Rising at Cornell University
- iPhoto 7 Fills Glaring Holes
- Connect More Easily to Wi-Fi Hotspots with the iPhone
- Penelope Project Ships Eudora 8.0.0b1
- The Ghost in My FileVault
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/17-Sep-07