Our friends at Fetch Softworks are having a back-to-school essay contest for U.S. students, teachers, and other school employees (including home-schoolers) to describe how they use the file transfer program Fetch in their academic work. Entries should be between a paragraph and a page in length, but you might still want to put some effort in, given that Fetch is giving away a new MacBook (worth $1,499) and $750 cash for the grand prize, and a new 8 GB iPod nano plus $100 cash for four runner-up prizes (plus, all five winners receive a stuffed Fetch dog). Jim Matthews tells us that judges will be looking for the most "creative, impressive, and unusual ways that entrants take advantage of Fetch," though I'm willing to bet that you'd get extra points for writing entirely in iambic pentameter or rhymed couplets. The contest runs from 10-Sep-07 through 21-Sep-07, and winners will be announced on 02-Oct-07. No purchase is necessary, of course, and that's especially true because Fetch has always been free to schools and charities.
Search Snippets on the Fly in TextExpander
Have a large number of snippets and can't remember them all your abbreviations? Use TextExpander's Suggest Matching Abbreviations search feature. It makes finding your snippets fast and simple.
Set your hotkey combination by going to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys. Once it's set, to use the Suggest Matching Abbreviations hotkey combination:
- Type a few characters of your snippet or its abbreviation.
- Press your hotkey combination immediately after typing the characters. (Don't enter a space before pressing the hotkey combination.)
- A popup menu appears with all snippets that contain the characters you typed. Scroll through them and click the one you want.
Published in TidBITS 895.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Sells Millionth iPhone
- Apple to Offer $100 iPhone Rebate for Early Purchasers
- iPhoto 7.0.2 Squashes Bugs
- iTunes Store Loses NBC TV Shows, Expands in UK
- Mysterious .Mac Slowdowns in Europe
- iToner Makes iPhone Ringtones Easy
- MarsEdit 2.0 Blasts Off
- DealBITS Discount: Save $10 on Nisus Writer Pro
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of Name Munger
- Palm Kerbangos Foleo
- TidBITS AutoCorrect Dictionary for TextExpander and TypeIt4Me
- Designing a Modern Web Site for TidBITS
- Apple Introduces iPod touch, Wi-Fi iTunes Store, and New iPods
- Take Control News/10-Sep-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/10-Sep-07
Win a MacBook or iPod nano from Fetch Softworks
Automatic’s connected car adapter with iPhone apps on
Automatic’s platform, drivers are able to drive safer and smarter.
TidBITS readers get 20% off all orders at <http://automatic.com/tb>