Our friends at Fetch Softworks are having a back-to-school essay contest for U.S. students, teachers, and other school employees (including home-schoolers) to describe how they use the file transfer program Fetch in their academic work. Entries should be between a paragraph and a page in length, but you might still want to put some effort in, given that Fetch is giving away a new MacBook (worth $1,499) and $750 cash for the grand prize, and a new 8 GB iPod nano plus $100 cash for four runner-up prizes (plus, all five winners receive a stuffed Fetch dog). Jim Matthews tells us that judges will be looking for the most "creative, impressive, and unusual ways that entrants take advantage of Fetch," though I'm willing to bet that you'd get extra points for writing entirely in iambic pentameter or rhymed couplets. The contest runs from 10-Sep-07 through 21-Sep-07, and winners will be announced on 02-Oct-07. No purchase is necessary, of course, and that's especially true because Fetch has always been free to schools and charities.
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
Published in TidBITS 895.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Sells Millionth iPhone
- Apple to Offer $100 iPhone Rebate for Early Purchasers
- iPhoto 7.0.2 Squashes Bugs
- iTunes Store Loses NBC TV Shows, Expands in UK
- Mysterious .Mac Slowdowns in Europe
- iToner Makes iPhone Ringtones Easy
- MarsEdit 2.0 Blasts Off
- DealBITS Discount: Save $10 on Nisus Writer Pro
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of Name Munger
- Palm Kerbangos Foleo
- TidBITS AutoCorrect Dictionary for TextExpander and TypeIt4Me
- Designing a Modern Web Site for TidBITS
- Apple Introduces iPod touch, Wi-Fi iTunes Store, and New iPods
- Take Control News/10-Sep-07
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/10-Sep-07