If you own one of Apple's latest laptops, your version of Mac OS X may not have shipped with journaling turned on (you can check by launching Disk Utility, selecting your boot volume name, and looking at the Format line in the disk information area at the bottom of the window). Journaling is a system-level feature that causes the system to log all disk changes in order to prevent data loss in the event of a crash or power outage. (When you erase a Mac volume under Panther or Tiger, the recommended option is to format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".) To remedy this situation, Apple has released MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, a 200K download that applies to MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) and MacBook Pro (2.2/2.4 GHz Mid 2007) models. After you install the update, Apple recommends running Disk Utility from another startup disk (such as the Mac OS X Install or Restore disc) and performing a disk verification.
Viewing Wi-Fi Details in Snow Leopard
In Snow Leopard, hold down the Option key before clicking the AirPort menu. Doing so reveals additional technical details including which standards, speeds, and frequencies you're using to connect, as well as what's in use by other networks. With the Option key held down and with a network already joined, the AirPort menu reveals seven pieces of information: the PHY Mode, the MAC (Media Access Control) address, the channel and band in use, the security method that's in use, the RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication) measurement, the transmit rate, and the MCS Index. In Leopard, some, but not all, of these details are revealed by Option-clicking the AirPort menu.
Published in TidBITS 898.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iLife '08 Updated, iMovie Improved
- Apple Updates iWork '08 and Core 2 Duo Mac Firmware
- Inching Towards Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
- Cheap UK Wi-Fi Access Offered for iPod touch
- iPhone 1.1.1 Adds Features and Updates Security
- Apple Expo Paris 2007 Impressions
- Amazon MP3 Takes on the iTunes Store
- Staff Roundtable: Apple Should Do No Harm to iPhones
- Take Control News: The Latest Ways of Protecting Your Data
- Take Control News: Joe Kissell Talks Turkey
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/01-Oct-07
MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 Enables Journaling
Apple TV. Browse your video library from any Web browser —
including your mobile device. No conversion or jailbreaking needed.
Download the free demo today! <http://silverscreenapp.com/tb>