If you own one of Apple's latest laptops, your version of Mac OS X may not have shipped with journaling turned on (you can check by launching Disk Utility, selecting your boot volume name, and looking at the Format line in the disk information area at the bottom of the window). Journaling is a system-level feature that causes the system to log all disk changes in order to prevent data loss in the event of a crash or power outage. (When you erase a Mac volume under Panther or Tiger, the recommended option is to format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".) To remedy this situation, Apple has released MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, a 200K download that applies to MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) and MacBook Pro (2.2/2.4 GHz Mid 2007) models. After you install the update, Apple recommends running Disk Utility from another startup disk (such as the Mac OS X Install or Restore disc) and performing a disk verification.
Smarter Parental Controls
If you've been using the parental controls options in Mac OS X to lock your child out of using a particular computer late at night, but would like to employ a more clever technique to limit Internet access, turn to MAC address filtering on an Apple base station.
To do this, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and click Manual Setup. In the Access Control view, choose Time Access to turn on MAC filtering. You'll need to enter the MAC address of the particular computer, which (in 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard) you can find in the Network System Preferences pane: click AirPort in the adapter list, and click Advanced. The AirPort ID is the MAC address.
Published in TidBITS 898.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iLife '08 Updated, iMovie Improved
- Apple Updates iWork '08 and Core 2 Duo Mac Firmware
- Inching Towards Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
- Cheap UK Wi-Fi Access Offered for iPod touch
- iPhone 1.1.1 Adds Features and Updates Security
- Apple Expo Paris 2007 Impressions
- Amazon MP3 Takes on the iTunes Store
- Staff Roundtable: Apple Should Do No Harm to iPhones
- Take Control News: The Latest Ways of Protecting Your Data
- Take Control News: Joe Kissell Talks Turkey
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/01-Oct-07
MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 Enables Journaling
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Rochelle Broder-Singer, Mitchell Wade, Drukkerij
Bulckens bvba, and Keith Kaiser for their generous support!