If you own one of Apple's latest laptops, your version of Mac OS X may not have shipped with journaling turned on (you can check by launching Disk Utility, selecting your boot volume name, and looking at the Format line in the disk information area at the bottom of the window). Journaling is a system-level feature that causes the system to log all disk changes in order to prevent data loss in the event of a crash or power outage. (When you erase a Mac volume under Panther or Tiger, the recommended option is to format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".) To remedy this situation, Apple has released MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, a 200K download that applies to MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) and MacBook Pro (2.2/2.4 GHz Mid 2007) models. After you install the update, Apple recommends running Disk Utility from another startup disk (such as the Mac OS X Install or Restore disc) and performing a disk verification.
- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Calculate with Spotlight
Have a quick calculation to perform? Don't bother opening Calculator, simply enter the calculation into Spotlight's search bar, and Spotlight displays the answer as the top item. To perform further calculations, hit Return, or click the answer, and Spotlight launches Calculator.
Visit MacTipster blog
Published in TidBITS 898.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iLife '08 Updated, iMovie Improved
- Apple Updates iWork '08 and Core 2 Duo Mac Firmware
- Inching Towards Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
- Cheap UK Wi-Fi Access Offered for iPod touch
- iPhone 1.1.1 Adds Features and Updates Security
- Apple Expo Paris 2007 Impressions
- Amazon MP3 Takes on the iTunes Store
- Staff Roundtable: Apple Should Do No Harm to iPhones
- Take Control News: The Latest Ways of Protecting Your Data
- Take Control News: Joe Kissell Talks Turkey
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/01-Oct-07