Apple has released Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.2, adding compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and addressing a variety of bugs and minor usage issues that cause Apple to recommend the update to all users. In particular, reliability of Copy tasks has been improved; the Open Application task now works on Intel-based client Macs; resized Control/Observe windows now retain their dimensions; it's now possible to type accented characters on European language keyboards; compatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers has been improved; screen sharing performance is improved over slower Internet connections; and overall performance has been improved with lists that contain a large number of client computers. It's available via Software Update or as a 34.6 MB download. Although I had no trouble controlling a client running version 3.1 of the Apple Remote Desktop client software, version 3.2 is also available as a 4.1 MB download. Realistically, though, there's no reason to download it in most situations; you can instead select the client computer within Apple Remote Desktop Admin, and then choose Manage > Upgrade Client Software to update to the latest.
Always Show Recipient In iChat
In iChat under Snow Leopard, choosing View > Always Show Recipient Bar puts a buddy's status message and color at the top of any iChat window. It can also be used to select among multiple open iChat logins you have to send a message to that buddy, or to select among multiple accounts you have registered in Address Book for that buddy.
Published in TidBITS 901.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Sells Record Number of Macs for Q4 2007
- Apple Goes with Orange
- iPhone Software Development Kit Set for February 2008
- Apple Cuts iTunes Plus Price to 99 Cents
- QuicKeys X3 3.2 Updated for Leopard
- Solve Link-Clicking Problems When Reading PDFs
- It's Official: Leopard Ships on October 26th, 2007
- The Best (and Worst) of Leopard
- How Leopard Will Improve Your Security
- Are Your Fonts Ready for Leopard?
- Take Control News: Start Preparing for Leopard Now with New Ebooks
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/22-Oct-07
Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Fixes Bugs
German-engineered, gold-plated, mechanical key switches produce
a tactile click that helps you type faster with greater accuracy.
Start saving time today. Money-back guarantee. <http://goo.gl/2FaL5>