Apple has released Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.2, adding compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and addressing a variety of bugs and minor usage issues that cause Apple to recommend the update to all users. In particular, reliability of Copy tasks has been improved; the Open Application task now works on Intel-based client Macs; resized Control/Observe windows now retain their dimensions; it's now possible to type accented characters on European language keyboards; compatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers has been improved; screen sharing performance is improved over slower Internet connections; and overall performance has been improved with lists that contain a large number of client computers. It's available via Software Update or as a 34.6 MB download. Although I had no trouble controlling a client running version 3.1 of the Apple Remote Desktop client software, version 3.2 is also available as a 4.1 MB download. Realistically, though, there's no reason to download it in most situations; you can instead select the client computer within Apple Remote Desktop Admin, and then choose Manage > Upgrade Client Software to update to the latest.
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
Published in TidBITS 901.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Sells Record Number of Macs for Q4 2007
- Apple Goes with Orange
- iPhone Software Development Kit Set for February 2008
- Apple Cuts iTunes Plus Price to 99 Cents
- QuicKeys X3 3.2 Updated for Leopard
- Solve Link-Clicking Problems When Reading PDFs
- It's Official: Leopard Ships on October 26th, 2007
- The Best (and Worst) of Leopard
- How Leopard Will Improve Your Security
- Are Your Fonts Ready for Leopard?
- Take Control News: Start Preparing for Leopard Now with New Ebooks
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/22-Oct-07