Apple has released Apple Remote Desktop Admin 3.2, adding compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and addressing a variety of bugs and minor usage issues that cause Apple to recommend the update to all users. In particular, reliability of Copy tasks has been improved; the Open Application task now works on Intel-based client Macs; resized Control/Observe windows now retain their dimensions; it's now possible to type accented characters on European language keyboards; compatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers has been improved; screen sharing performance is improved over slower Internet connections; and overall performance has been improved with lists that contain a large number of client computers. It's available via Software Update or as a 34.6 MB download. Although I had no trouble controlling a client running version 3.1 of the Apple Remote Desktop client software, version 3.2 is also available as a 4.1 MB download. Realistically, though, there's no reason to download it in most situations; you can instead select the client computer within Apple Remote Desktop Admin, and then choose Manage > Upgrade Client Software to update to the latest.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 901.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Sells Record Number of Macs for Q4 2007
- Apple Goes with Orange
- iPhone Software Development Kit Set for February 2008
- Apple Cuts iTunes Plus Price to 99 Cents
- QuicKeys X3 3.2 Updated for Leopard
- Solve Link-Clicking Problems When Reading PDFs
- It's Official: Leopard Ships on October 26th, 2007
- The Best (and Worst) of Leopard
- How Leopard Will Improve Your Security
- Are Your Fonts Ready for Leopard?
- Take Control News: Start Preparing for Leopard Now with New Ebooks
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/22-Oct-07