When the FedEx delivery truck arrived around 11 AM today with my pre-ordered copy of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard from the Apple Store, I quickly slipped my feet into my trusty new leopard slippers in order to go outside and sign for the box. I learned that Apple had warned FedEx ahead of time to expect a lot of Leopard packages today and that FedEx had been asked to try to deliver them as early as possible. He said that for the Ithaca-based FedEx branch, there were about 150 boxes. (Thanks to Adam for taking my photo.)
Syslogd Overwhelming Your Computer?
If your Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) system is unexpectedly sluggish, logging might be the culprit. Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/ folder), and click the CPU column twice to get it to show most to least activity. If syslogd is at the top of the list, there's a fix. Syslogd tracks informational messages produced by software and writes them to the asl.db, a file in your Unix /var/log/ directory. It's a known problem that syslogd can run amok. There's a fix: deleting the asl.db file.
Launch Terminal (from the same Utilities folder), and enter these commands exactly as written, entering your administrative password when prompted:
sudo launchctl stop com.apple.syslogd
sudo rm /var/log/asl.db
sudo launchctl start com.apple.syslogd
Your system should settle down to normal. For more information, follow the link.
Other articles in the series Leopard Arrives
- Leopard Compatibility List Updated (19 Dec 07)
- Punching a Hole for Back to My Mac (17 Nov 07)
- Transparent Menu Bar, Die Die Die! (16 Nov 07)
- A Simple Hack To Fix Leopard's Stacks (15 Nov 07)
- Mac OS X 10.5.1 Fixes Numerous Leopard Flaws (15 Nov 07)
- PGP Causes Leopard Slowdown, But Fix Is Simple (13 Nov 07)
- Leopard Firewall Takes One Step Forward, Three Steps Back (05 Nov 07)
- Spotlight Strikes Back: In Leopard, It Works Great (01 Nov 07)
- Evaluating the Leopard Installation Process (28 Oct 07)
- Time Machine: The Good, the Bad, and the Missing Features (28 Oct 07)
- Leopard Early Fixes and Warnings (27 Oct 07)
- FileMaker Pro Has Known Glitches under Leopard (26 Oct 07)
- Screen Sharing with Leopard Extends to Tiger (26 Oct 07)
- Six Things I Hate about Leopard (26 Oct 07)
- Take Control News: Five Ebooks Launch You into Leopard: Save 30%! (26 Oct 07)
- Leopard Simplifies File Sharing (25 Oct 07)
- Spaces: A First (and Very Happy) Look (25 Oct 07)
- Are Your Fonts Ready for Leopard? (22 Oct 07)
- How Leopard Will Improve Your Security (22 Oct 07)
Slipping Into Something More Comfortable
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>