Retrospect 3.0A Updater -- Dantz has finally released the 3.0A update to its popular backup program Retrospect. The new version adds support for Windows Remotes, so you can now back up Windows machines on your network using Retrospect. Since these Windows machines probably aren't running AppleTalk, Retrospect 3.0A uses TCP/IP and Open Transport to communicate with them. The new version adds a few specific features including support for Sony DAT drives with older firmware and the ability to format 8mm Exabyte tapes. The update also corrects problems including troubles relating to RAM; better support for Arabic, Hebrew, and Chinese characters; and a fix to seeing spurious volumes on Novell servers. RAM Doubler users should note that 3.0A improves compatibility with RAM Doubler, and that Dantz recommends that you use version 1.6.2 or later with System 7.5.3. You can download the 1.6 MB updater file from Dantz's Web or FTP site, but be aware that both sites are pretty busy right now. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software