Here's a tip for any of you early installers of Office 2008 for Mac: If you're experiencing a crash on launching Word 2008, try throwing out its settings file. Look in your home directory for Microsoft's preferences folder at ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft. Move the Word Settings (10) file to the Desktop and relaunch Word 2008. That did the trick (with some help from Microsoft tech support) for me under Leopard on an older PowerBook G4. If moving Word Settings (10) out of the way solves your problem, trash the file.
Easily Change Firewall Settings in VirusBarrier X6
If you need different levels of protection on your laptop based on location, you can set up VirusBarrier X6's two-way firewall with multiple configurations. Whenever you change locations, switch easily to the firewall settings you want to use from the Intego menu, located in the menu bar. Make as many configurations as you want: for home, office, when you're on public Wi-Fi, and so on.
Published in TidBITS 913.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iWork and iWeb Updated, Apple Restricts Release Notes
- Microsoft Bids $44.6 Billion for Yahoo
- CS Odessa Sponsoring TidBITS
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of Sound Studio 3
- Crazy Apple Rumors Site Kills Self, Collapses Mineshaft
- For Want of a File, an Operating System Was Lost
- Quick Fix for a Mac Typing in the Wrong Language
- Catalog Choice Slammed by Direct Marketing Association
- New Leopard Ebooks Help with Backups, Maintenance, and More
- Looking Video Chat Problems in the Eye
- When Is a Warranty Not a Warranty?
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/04-Feb-08