This article originally appeared in TidBITS on 2008-03-17 at 9:55 a.m.
The permanent URL for this article is: http://tidbits.com/article/9508
Include images: Off
We're overwhelmed with great software that we'd like to cover right away, but we're simply running out of time in any given week. Rather than let these excellent programs go unnoticed or make you wait until we get around to more thorough coverage, we're going to experiment with telling you about it in an article that we'll update throughout the week, and then close and publish in the next week's TidBITS issue. These articles won't attempt to be comprehensive, but will instead focus on just those applications we think you'll find most interesting. This week we'd like to present:
- Things 0.9  from Cultured Code adds recurring to-dos and projects to the task management utility, along with the capability to create and switch among multiple Things libraries.
- SubEthaEdit 3.1  from TheCodingMonkeys adds more collaborative features to the text editor, including automatic port forwarding (so you don't need a static IP address to share a document), integration with iChat for collaboration invitations, and "friendcasting" that lets you connect with the friends of your friends.
- PopChar 3.4  from Ergonis Software offers an enhanced search feature for finding special characters by name, Unicode number, or example. Also, a new contextual menu simplifies copying characters to the clipboard in various formats, automatic update checking has been added, and compatibility with Leopard and various applications has been improved.
- WireTap Studio 1.0.5  from Ambrosia Software improves tagging support, supports up to 4 GB WAVE and AIFF files, and adds more bit rates to AIFF and AIFC.
- ScreenFlow 1.0.2  from Vara Software is a new program that looks to provide an excellent set of tools for recording, editing, and exporting screencasts, something that's been difficult in the past.
- Enclose 1.0.1  from Gracion Software lets you give files to anyone by simplifying the task of uploading files to your Web server or .Mac iDisk and sending a download link to one or more recipients via email.
- Parallels Server Beta 2  from Parallels adds a full bare-metal hypervisor to run multiple virtual machines without relying on the host operating system, support for four-way symmetric multiprocessing, and experimental support for Intel VT-d for better hardware acceleration of virtual machines.
- The Missing Sync for Palm OS 6.0.3  from Mark/Space improves Palm synchronization with Bare Bones Software's Yojimbo 1.5, enhances handling of recurring tasks, and offers better support for custom field synchronization with Entourage, along with deletion of individual or selected calls and text messages from the archive on your Mac.