- Pro Applications Update 2008-01 from Apple updates Final Cut Studio 2, bringing Final Cut Pro up to version 6.0.3 and Compressor to version 3.0.3. According to Apple, the update "addresses specific customer issues, installation issues, compatibility updates, general performance issues and improves overall stability." A valid Final Cut Studio 2 serial number is required to download the update. (Free, 63.7 MB)
- Photoshop Lightroom 1.4.1 and Camera Raw 4.4.1 fix a set of problems that prompted Adobe to pull the 1.4 and 4.4 updates of the software a few weeks ago. Those earlier updates incorrectly modified EXIF time and date information on photos and prevented Olympus JPEG files from rendering correctly. The import performance was also degraded in Lightroom 1.4 compared to version 1.3. The updates also add support for Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi/EOS Kiss X2), Nikon D60, Sony A350, and others, and update printer driver compatibility under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Windows versions of the updates are also available. (Free; Lightroom 1.4.1, 42.9 MB; Camera Raw 4.4.1, 12.5 MB)
- OmniWeb 5.7 from The Omni Group is a fairly major release to the company's feature-packed Web browser. OmniWeb 5.7 improves ad blocking, adds a "Mail Contents of This Page" command to the File menu, gives the option to display PDFs inline or download them, improves PDF handling, and reduces the CPU usage and memory footprint. A number of nagging crashes were also resolved. ($14.95 new, free upgrade, 12.9 MB)
- iGlasses 2.1 from Ecamm Network adds digital zoom to the video utility, along with support for seven additional video applications: Skitch, Pixelmator, Cha-Ching, WebEx Meeting Center, Arkaos VJ, Acorn, and ooVoo. Other changes include support for using a CamTwist video source and bug fixes to work with iMovie '08 properly and to fix problems with pan and zoom using the Apple Remote in Leopard. iGlasses 2.1 also resets the demo period, so those who have previously tried the program can try it again. ($9.95 new, free upgrade, 875K)
- Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0 from Apple updates the firmware of both the wired and wireless versions of the aluminum Apple Keyboard to put a stop to unexpected key repeats. Apple claims the update also addresses other issues. The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2, and if you're installing from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, be sure to plug in your computer's power cord before installing. (Free, 1.5 MB)
- Airfoil Speakers for Linux 1.0 from Rogue Amoeba allows Airfoil for Mac 3 or Airfoil for Windows 2.5 to stream music over a network to a system running a supported version of Linux. This software doesn't include any other Airfoil functionality, and is labeled "unsupported" by Rogue Amoeba. (Free, 187K)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 924.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Releases Various Firmware Updates
- Keyboard Maestro 3.0 Adds New Triggers and Actions
- Final Cut Now Ready to Serve
- TidBITS Podcast Now in iTunes Store
- Configure Mail to Prevent iCal Spam
- VMware Fusion Video Contest
- Apple Enthusiast Offers New Take on News Aggregation
- Take Control News: Find 200+ Tips in the Mac OS X Hints Superguide
- Dialectic Simplifies Dialing Any Type of Phone
- Reluctantly Switching from Eudora to Apple Mail
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/14-Apr-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 14-Apr-08
Swap out Apple Maps for our open source SDK in just a few steps.
Choose a map design that suits your app and wows your users.
Start developing today for free! <https://www.mapbox.com/mobile/>