- Pro Applications Update 2008-01 from Apple updates Final Cut Studio 2, bringing Final Cut Pro up to version 6.0.3 and Compressor to version 3.0.3. According to Apple, the update "addresses specific customer issues, installation issues, compatibility updates, general performance issues and improves overall stability." A valid Final Cut Studio 2 serial number is required to download the update. (Free, 63.7 MB)
- Photoshop Lightroom 1.4.1 and Camera Raw 4.4.1 fix a set of problems that prompted Adobe to pull the 1.4 and 4.4 updates of the software a few weeks ago. Those earlier updates incorrectly modified EXIF time and date information on photos and prevented Olympus JPEG files from rendering correctly. The import performance was also degraded in Lightroom 1.4 compared to version 1.3. The updates also add support for Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi/EOS Kiss X2), Nikon D60, Sony A350, and others, and update printer driver compatibility under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Windows versions of the updates are also available. (Free; Lightroom 1.4.1, 42.9 MB; Camera Raw 4.4.1, 12.5 MB)
- OmniWeb 5.7 from The Omni Group is a fairly major release to the company's feature-packed Web browser. OmniWeb 5.7 improves ad blocking, adds a "Mail Contents of This Page" command to the File menu, gives the option to display PDFs inline or download them, improves PDF handling, and reduces the CPU usage and memory footprint. A number of nagging crashes were also resolved. ($14.95 new, free upgrade, 12.9 MB)
- iGlasses 2.1 from Ecamm Network adds digital zoom to the video utility, along with support for seven additional video applications: Skitch, Pixelmator, Cha-Ching, WebEx Meeting Center, Arkaos VJ, Acorn, and ooVoo. Other changes include support for using a CamTwist video source and bug fixes to work with iMovie '08 properly and to fix problems with pan and zoom using the Apple Remote in Leopard. iGlasses 2.1 also resets the demo period, so those who have previously tried the program can try it again. ($9.95 new, free upgrade, 875K)
- Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0 from Apple updates the firmware of both the wired and wireless versions of the aluminum Apple Keyboard to put a stop to unexpected key repeats. Apple claims the update also addresses other issues. The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2, and if you're installing from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, be sure to plug in your computer's power cord before installing. (Free, 1.5 MB)
- Airfoil Speakers for Linux 1.0 from Rogue Amoeba allows Airfoil for Mac 3 or Airfoil for Windows 2.5 to stream music over a network to a system running a supported version of Linux. This software doesn't include any other Airfoil functionality, and is labeled "unsupported" by Rogue Amoeba. (Free, 187K)
Track Changes Dates Reset on Save As in Word 2008
If you regularly use the Save As feature to create new drafts while working in Word 2008, you might notice that with Track Changes enabled, previously time-stamped comments and edits have their times reset to the Save As date and time. Work around this by sticking with your original file, but using Save As (or just File > Duplicate in the Finder) to make backup copies.
Published in TidBITS 924.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Releases Various Firmware Updates
- Keyboard Maestro 3.0 Adds New Triggers and Actions
- Final Cut Now Ready to Serve
- TidBITS Podcast Now in iTunes Store
- Configure Mail to Prevent iCal Spam
- VMware Fusion Video Contest
- Apple Enthusiast Offers New Take on News Aggregation
- Take Control News: Find 200+ Tips in the Mac OS X Hints Superguide
- Dialectic Simplifies Dialing Any Type of Phone
- Reluctantly Switching from Eudora to Apple Mail
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/14-Apr-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 14-Apr-08
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>