- Apple TV 2.0.2 is a bug-fix update that address wireless network reliability (presumably to correct a problem when using it on an 802.11n network set to use the 5 GHz frequency, though Apple's release notes do not call out specific details). The update is available only through the Apple TV: from the main screen, choose Settings > General > Update Software. (Free)
- Mactracker 5.0.2 by Ian Page adds the latest Apple hardware to his application for tracking all the technical details of Macintosh models. Mactracker 5.0.2 also adds Brightness and DPI information where available for the built-in displays of MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models; and it now details the maximum supported resolution for an external display for the Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and PowerBook G3/G4 models. Mactracker is also available as a Web application for the iPhone and iPod touch. (Donationware, 20.9 MB)
- 1Password 2.5.13 from Agile Web Solutions updates the browser-independent password manager and form filler to work with the just-released Camino 1.6. However, another update will be required to restore 1Password support for the recently released OmniWeb 5.7. ($34.95 new, free update, 9.1 MB)
- Teleport 1.0.1 from Abyssoft fixes a number of bugs in the virtual keyboard and mouse switcher that enables you to control multiple Macs from the same keyboard and mouse. Version 1.0.1 also provides Panther compatibility, adds an Unpair button on paired hosts, and provides a Shared Screen button when the shared Mac has multiple monitors. For more on Teleport, see "Tools We Use: Teleport" (2007-08-27). (Donationware, 717K)
- Camino 1.6 from The Camino Project adds several major new features to the Mac-focused, Gecko-based Web browser, including automatic software updates, improvements to tabbed browsing, and more extensive compatibility with the Mac OS X Keychain. Camino 1.6 also features user-changeable search engine options, an improved interface for finding text within the current page, AppleScript enhancements, and a variety of bug fixes. (Free, 15.5 MB for English-only or 18.1 MB for multilingual)
- Interarchy 9.0.1 from Nolobe fixes numerous problems that plagued the previous release of the file transfer software. Notably, you can now set editors for filetypes within Interarchy and so the setting applies only within Interarchy; copying and pasting will now perform a copy rather than a move; numerous crashing bugs have been squashed; and much more. If you use Interarchy, this update is a must. ($59 new, free update, 6.6 MB)
- ConceptDraw 7.6 from CS Odessa speeds start-up performance of the business graphics application by 10 to 20 percent, significantly improves the text editing performance when working with Chinese and Arabic characters, and addresses other unspecified issues. ($299 new, free update)
- Google Earth 4.3 enhances Google's virtual globe with the addition of Google Street View when you get down to street level in some areas, new first-person controls that make flying around Google Earth more like a video game, time lapse sunrises and sunsets, photo-realistic buildings from cities around the world, and faster 3D graphics. (Free, 33.1 MB)
- Typinator 3.0 from Ergonis turns the auto-correcting and abbreviation expansion utility into a background application with an icon in the menu bar for accessing its interface. Other improvements include a search field in the toolbar to aid in finding abbreviations and expansions, single-character abbreviations, automatic checking of new versions, and fixes for a number of specific bugs. (19.99 euros new, free updates for 2 years, 1.8 MB)
Toggle Dock Magnification Temporarily
Sometimes it may be handy to enable or disable Dock magnification quickly. You can toggle Dock magnification from your normal settings easily, and temporarily, by pressing Control-Shift as you mouse over the Dock.
Visit plucky tree
- Tools We Use: Teleport (27 Aug 07)
Published in TidBITS 925.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Safari 3.1.1 Addresses Security Issues
- Take Control News: Save 50 Percent on All Our Ebooks
- BusySync 2.0 Released with Google Calendar Support
- Skype Offers Unmetered Worldwide Calling Plans
- Punch Through NAT with Port Map's Port Forwarding
- Follow Along Through 18 Years of TidBITS
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/21-Apr-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 21-Apr-08
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>