- AirPort Extreme Update 2008-002 from Apple reportedly "improves the reliability of AirPort connections" on Intel-based Macs. It would be great if it would solve the problem my MacBook sometimes has with frequently dropping wireless connections despite strong signal strength; the last time I ran into that, connecting the power adapter instead of running on battery power solved the problem. (Free, 1.96 MB)
- Several components of iLife '08 receive minor updates that Apple doesn't deign to describe in detail. iLife Support 8.3 (10 MB) updates system software components used by all the members of the iLife '08 suite, improving overall stability and addressing a number of other minor issues. iPhoto Update 7.1.4 (74 MB) adds new holiday greeting card and postcard themes, "addresses general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues." For iWeb 2.0.4 (35 MB) and iMovie 7.1.4 (38 MB), just replay that quoted clause again in your head. (Free update)
- Skype 220.127.116.110 from Skype Limited enhances the Internet telephony software with support for NAT-PMP and uPNP, presumably improving Skype's ability to work behind NAT gateways. The new version also fixes a number of bugs, including things like a freeze with more than 3,000 contacts, crashes when applying changes in the Edit Profile window, and chats losing their topics. (Free, 34.5 MB)
- Keyboard Maestro 3.3 from Stairways Software adds a number of features to the rapidly developed macro utility. Foremost among them is a global status menu and the capability to trigger macros from the status menu, but this version also adds the capability to enable and disable individual actions within a macro for testing purposes, a Fast User Switch action, a Comment action that does nothing but help document a macro, and a preference to save and restore the clipboard history. Also new is the capability to cut, copy, paste, and duplicate macros, triggers, and actions, making it easier to make macros similar to those you've already created. ($36 new, free update, 6.3 MB)
- PDFpen 3.5 (and PDFpen Pro 3.5) from SmileOnMyMac updates the PDF editing and manipulation utility to support PDFs that follow newer specifications and non-standard PDFs, improves the Correct Text feature, and fixes numerous minor bugs. ($49.95/$94.95 new, free update for 3.x users, 5.3 MB)
- Typinator 3.1 from Ergonis Software brings to the auto-typing and text expansion utility improved compatibility with programs like Coda, VMware Fusion, Butler, Zend Studio, Lotus Notes, OpenOffice, NeoOffice and more. It also integrates the recently released HTML Snippet Set, offers a redesigned menu bar icon, provides an option to turn off the menu bar icon entirely to save space on the menu bar, and fixes a variety of minor bugs. (19 euros new, free update for copies purchased in the last 2 years, 1.8 MB)
- Default Folder X 4.0.7 from St. Clair Software is a minor compatibility update for the Open and Save dialog enhancer, fixing problems with Word 2008 and with the "Open in Terminal" and "Click to copy a filename" features. ($34.95 new, free update for purchases before 01-Jun-07 or $14.95 otherwise, 9.2 MB)
- Firefox 3.0.1 from the Mozilla Foundation fixes several security problems, addresses stability issues, and fixes a problem that could miss printing parts of a page. Note that Firefox add-ons may need to be updated to work with 3.0.1, so if you rely on a particular add-on, it's worth checking its compatibility before updating Firefox itself. (Free, 17.2 MB)
Use VirusBarrier X6 to Find Internet Traffic Paths
Need to find out who owns a domain name, or where your traffic is being routed? VirusBarrier X6 has a number of network monitoring tools, including a built-in Whois search tool, and a Traceroute feature. If you use the latter, you can even display a map after the traceroute has completed, showing exactly where in the world data passes between your Mac and a selected IP address.
Published in TidBITS 938.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Anthropomorphic Fonts in CollegeHumor Video
- Stop the iPod touch's Constant Beeping
- Apple Reports Billion Dollar Profit for Q3 2008
- iTunes 7.7 Corrupts Accented Artist and Track Names
- Google Gmail Adds Secure Session Option
- MobileMe Status Page Promises Updates, But Tone Rings Flat
- Prepping Web Images with iWatermark
- Apple Fails to Patch Critical Exploited DNS Flaw
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/28-Jul-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 28-Jul-08
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>