- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 introduces a number of welcome new features to Adobe's professional photo management application. Chief among them are 64-bit processing support and a new local adjustment brush, which enables you to apply edits selectively instead of to an entire image. Other improvements include support for multiple monitors and third-party editing plug-ins, improved sharpening when outputting images, and more. A particularly intriguing feature is automatic suggestion of keywords based on other keywords to make tagging images easier. ($299 new, $99 upgrade, 33.6 MB)
- Aperture 2.1.1 from Apple reinforces the company's secret plan to make journalists stop covering its software updates by providing no meaningful information about them. The update "supports general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues," according to Apple. Fortunately, a little more information is available by choosing Late Breaking News from Aperture's Help menu, or simply viewing the Late Breaking News PDF. That document reveals the 2.1.1 update as providing MobileMe compatibility and lists 16 areas of the program that have been affected (but not details on what's changed), including auto-stacking, preview generation, the Dodge & Burn plug-in, and others. Aperture 2.1.1 is available via Software Update or as a standalone download. (Free, 48 MB)
- Lexmark Printer Driver 1.1 from Apple includes the latest drivers for Lexmark printers. As usual, Apple isn't saying whether there are changes to existing drivers or just drivers for new Lexmark printer models. (Free, 72 MB)
Edit iCal Event Titles Directly
In the Leopard version of iCal, double-clicking an event shows a summary of the event, and to edit the name (or anything else), you must click the Edit button in the summary pop-up. To bypass the summary and edit pop-ups entirely, Option-double-click the event name. That selects the text for editing, and you can make any changes you want. Click outside the event to save your changes.
Published in TidBITS 939.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Five iTunes 7.7.1 Bug Fixes Detailed
- Apple Claims MobileMe Mail Fully Restored
- Apple Finally Fixes DNS Flaw and ARDAgent Vulnerability
- DNS Clients Have Small Vector of Risk after Patch
- Google Maps Adds Walking Directions
- VMware Fusion 2 Beta 2 Adds Significant Features
- Missing Sync for Symbian Offers Proximity Sync
- Panorama Enterprise Offers Internet Database Synchronization
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/04-Aug-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 04-Aug-08
scanning solutions for companies of any size. Make your life more
productive, mobile, paperless, and efficient with a ScanSnap
scanner. To learn more, visit: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>