- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 introduces a number of welcome new features to Adobe's professional photo management application. Chief among them are 64-bit processing support and a new local adjustment brush, which enables you to apply edits selectively instead of to an entire image. Other improvements include support for multiple monitors and third-party editing plug-ins, improved sharpening when outputting images, and more. A particularly intriguing feature is automatic suggestion of keywords based on other keywords to make tagging images easier. ($299 new, $99 upgrade, 33.6 MB)
- Aperture 2.1.1 from Apple reinforces the company's secret plan to make journalists stop covering its software updates by providing no meaningful information about them. The update "supports general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues," according to Apple. Fortunately, a little more information is available by choosing Late Breaking News from Aperture's Help menu, or simply viewing the Late Breaking News PDF. That document reveals the 2.1.1 update as providing MobileMe compatibility and lists 16 areas of the program that have been affected (but not details on what's changed), including auto-stacking, preview generation, the Dodge & Burn plug-in, and others. Aperture 2.1.1 is available via Software Update or as a standalone download. (Free, 48 MB)
- Lexmark Printer Driver 1.1 from Apple includes the latest drivers for Lexmark printers. As usual, Apple isn't saying whether there are changes to existing drivers or just drivers for new Lexmark printer models. (Free, 72 MB)
Open Files with App Switcher
Using the Application Switcher to open files can sometimes be faster than hunting for an Application's window or searching through a jam packed Dock for an Application's icon. First grab your file, press Command-Tab, and then drop the file onto the desired application's icon to open it within that program.
Visit plucky tree
Published in TidBITS 939.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Five iTunes 7.7.1 Bug Fixes Detailed
- Apple Claims MobileMe Mail Fully Restored
- Apple Finally Fixes DNS Flaw and ARDAgent Vulnerability
- DNS Clients Have Small Vector of Risk after Patch
- Google Maps Adds Walking Directions
- VMware Fusion 2 Beta 2 Adds Significant Features
- Missing Sync for Symbian Offers Proximity Sync
- Panorama Enterprise Offers Internet Database Synchronization
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/04-Aug-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 04-Aug-08
Scan contracts, invoices, or receipts as PDFs with your iOS device.
Use OCR to make that scanned image into a searchable PDF with text
you can copy! Get it on the App Store: <http://smle.us/tbscanplus>