- iPhone 2.0.2 includes "bug fixes," or perhaps bugs that have been fixed to prevent them from mating and creating new little bugs. As usual, Apple is utterly unhelpful in its release notes. We hope the update resolves issues with 3G reception in some phones and magically fixes everything. (Free via iTunes, 241.9 MB)
- Inquisitor 3.2 is the first update since the instant search enhancement for Safari was acquired by Yahoo. With Inquisitor installed, typing in Safari's Google search field provides a menu of instant results that you can either click to load or ignore to send the search to Google. New in 3.2 is support for Yahoo's open search Web services platform for faster performance and a slightly cleaner interface. It's also available in eight languages. (Free, 606K)
- WireTap Anywhere 1.0.1 from Ambrosia Software is a new product that lets you route the audio output of any Macintosh application or hardware input device to any audio recording application, such as Ambrosia's own WireTap Studio. This would enable you, for instance, to record both sides of a Skype conversation and have music from iTunes recorded in the background as well. Even cooler, WireTap Anywhere can aggregate any combination of applications and devices into a single logical device. It also includes an Audio Unit generator. ($129 new, 13.1 MB)
- TextExpander 2.4 from SmileOnMyMac includes bug fixes and performance improvements for the utility that turns keystrokes into replacement insertions of text. The company says key among these is an instant drop-down of their snippet library menu even if you have a large array of snippets. Keyboard navigation of the menu was also added. ($29.95 new, free upgrade for 1.x and 2.x users, 4 MB)
- Airfoil 2.6 for Windows from Rogue Amoeba features an overhauled code base, more device support, and better integration with Apple TV. We don't typically mention Windows updates, but Airfoil and Airfoil Speakers (remote sound control) work with Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, and integrate with AirPort Express and Apple TV. ($25 new, free upgrade, 3 MB)
Fight Gravity with Game Your Video
The Reverse button in Game Your Video can often provide hilarious results. Use the Reverse button if you have filmed yourself eating something or diving into a pool, and get some cool anti-gravity effects.
Visit Global Delight
Published in TidBITS 941.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Best Buy to Sell iPhone in United States
- Apple's Former Top Lawyer Settles Options Charges
- Microsoft Office 2008 and 2004 Receive Updates
- More Photo Backup Options While Traveling
- Why I Hate the Eye-Fi Share Wireless SD Card
- Why I Like the Eye-Fi Explore Wireless SD Card
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/18-Aug-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 18-Aug-08
power of fill-ins and use formatted text on your iPad and iPhone.
Sync your snippets with TextExpander for Mac via Dropbox.
The best way to save time typing on iOS! <http://bit.ly/YXEtZ8>