- MacBook Air Update from Apple resolves an issue where one of the machine's two processors would turn off if the temperature rose to a certain point, a feature Apple calls "processor core idling." To quote the other sentence in release notes that are downright loquacious for Apple, "Third-party software that modifies processor operating characteristics such as frequency and voltage is not supported and should be removed before installing this update." In other words, if you've installed software to help work around the "processor core idling" bug, remove it before installing the update. The update also addresses unspecified video playback issues. (Free, 368K)
- Mactracker 5.0.4 from Ian Page updates the freeware utility that provides detailed technical information on a wide variety of Apple hardware with the latest information about the iPhone 3G, new fields for iTunes Version and Machine ID for iPhone models, and updated information for the support status of Apple's latest "vintage" and "obsolete" products. (Free, 20.7 MB)
- Keyboard Maestro 3.4 from Stairways Software adds to the macro utility a Typed String trigger that executes actions whenever you type a particular sequence of characters, optionally deleting the typed characters as part of the process. Other changes are cosmetic, minor, or fix bugs. ($36 new, free update, 6.2 MB)
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
Published in TidBITS 942.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 25-Aug-08
Scan contracts, invoices, or receipts as PDFs with your iOS device.
Use OCR to make that scanned image into a searchable PDF with text
you can copy! Get it on the App Store: <http://smle.us/tbscanplus>