- NetworkLocation 3.0 from Centrix adds location awareness via Wi-Fi positioning to its configuration tool. The software already let you set profiles for settings - such as default printer, network configuration, mounted servers, and launched applications. The latest release lets you tie your location, as determined by Skyhook Wireless's Wi-Fi Positioning System, to profiles. Skyhook is part of what powers the iPhone's Location Services. NetworkLocation 3.0 also includes new plug-ins, a revamped action interface, and control over Spaces. The latest release requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. ($29 new, $19 upgrade, 3.1 MB)
- Spring Cleaning 10 from Smith Micro is the latest version of the long-standing cleanup utility for the Mac, which is designed to help users reduce unnecessary file clutter, eliminate duplicates, and perform system maintenance. New in version 10 is the capability to sort and organize files in a wide variety of ways, find movies in 17 different formats, find and organize podcasts, send photos to Flickr and Picasa, create scripts in AppleScript and other languages, and more. ($49.99 new, $19.99 upgrade)
- Front Row 2.1.6 from Apple updates the media interface with iTunes 8 compatibility and unspecified bug fixes. It requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, QuickTime 7.5.5 or later, and iTunes 6.0.4 and iPhoto 6.0.2 or later. (Free, 12.5 MB)
- HP Printer Driver 1.1.1 seems to be a bug fix for Apple's previous release of the HP Printer Driver Update, addressing a problem wherein printing to an HP LaserJet may not work if you select a printer preset other than Standard from the Presets pop-up menu. It may also include drivers for new printers, or updated drivers for other HP printers, but all Apple will give us is a list of supported HP printers. (Free, 405 MB)
Open Files from BBEdit Subversion Log
When you use BBEdit's Subversion client capabilities to update the working copy of your Subversion repository, BBEdit always displays the Subversion.log file, showing any changes. If you want to work on one of the files that appears as being added or updated, just select the full pathname and choose File > Open Selection (or just hit Command-D). This trick should also work any time you see a pathname within a BBEdit document.
Published in TidBITS 945.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update Focuses on Bug Fixes
- iPhone 2.1 Provides Highly Anticipated Bug Fixes
- Apple Executives' Settlement May End Backdating Saga
- Monster List of Mac Backup Software Updated
- iTunes 8 Adds Genius; iTunes Store Adds HD TV and NBC
- iTunes 8 Gains Per-Podcast Settings
- Apple Reveals New iPod nano and Updated iPod touch
- Running the Numbers with Steve Jobs
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/15-Sep-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 15-Sep-08
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to John Brownie, Jeff Howell, Paul Belmont, and
Kathleen Timms for their generous support!