- iPhone Configuration Utility 1.0.1 for Mac OS X from Apple updates the utility used by system administrators to manage iPhone and iPod touch configurations. Apple doesn't specify what's changed in this revision, so we're assuming it applies bug fixes. (Free, 9.3 MB)
- Final Cut Server Update 1.1.1 from Apple addresses performance, stability, and installation issues in Final Cut Server 1.1. A Final Cut Server serial number is required to download the standalone update. (Free, 55.3 MB)
- Pro Applications Update 2008-03 from Apple improves performance and stability in Compressor and Apple Qmaster, and is recommended for owners of Final Cut Studio 2, Final Cut Server, and Logic Studio. The update is available via Software Update or as a standalone download; the latter requires a valid Final Cut Studio 2 serial number. (Free, 64.4 MB)
- Gears for Safari 0.4.22.0 from Google is the official release of the software that enables offline use of otherwise online Web apps like Google Docs (for more information, see "How to Use Google Docs Offline in Safari," 2008-09-01). Google offers a bit more technical information in the introductory blog post. (Free)
- BBEdit 9.0.1 from Bare Bones Software fixes a wide variety of minor bugs in the recently released BBEdit text editor. Areas of focus include text completion, dealing with documents that appear in multiple windows, and the new modeless Find dialog. It's worth browsing through the release notes to see if any of the changes fix any annoyance you've had, but this really is tweaky stuff. ($125 new, free update for 9.0 users or $30 from previous versions, 15.4 MB)
- Coda 1.5.1 from Panic offers bug fixes for the just-updated Coda Web development tool. A number of crashing bugs have been squashed, the Terminal window can now prompt before allowing itself to be closed, drag-and-drop duplication now works for folders, and deleting a remote file while it's being edited closes its editor. Coda's release notes detail a number of other interesting changes - they're worth a read. ($99 new, free update, 19 MB)
- Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.2 from Apple adds raw image file compatibility to Aperture 2 and iPhoto '08 for the following cameras: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/Kiss Digital F/1000D, Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n, Nikon D700, Olympus EVOLT E-420, Olympus EVOLT E-520, Olympus SP-570, Samsung GX-10, Samsung GX-20, Sony DSLR-A300, and Sony DSC-R1. Apple installs camera compatibility at the system level, so installing the update requires a restart. (Free, 3.5 MB)
- Apple Remote Desktop 3.2.2 Client and Apple Remote Desktop 3.2.2 Admin from Apple improve the reliability of the Copy Items command, use unicast packets for improved performance while upgrading client software across a network, and apply fixes to the Force Quit All Applications and Copy items to Computer Automator actions. The updates require Apple Remote Desktop 3.0 or later. (Free update, 2.82 MB for the Client or 30 MB for the Admin)
- Server Admin Tools 10.5.5 from Apple updates the collection of server tools by correctly enabling and showing the status of RADIUS or Kerberos authentication for PPTP VPN, reliably displays the primary IP address for 802.11n-enabled AirPort Base Stations, and fixes a number of other issues. (Free, 64 MB)
Open Files with App Switcher
Using the Application Switcher to open files can sometimes be faster than hunting for an Application's window or searching through a jam packed Dock for an Application's icon. First grab your file, press Command-Tab, and then drop the file onto the desired application's icon to open it within that program.
Visit plucky tree
- How to Use Google Docs Offline in Safari (01 Sep 08)
Published in TidBITS 946.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Recalls Supercool iPhone 3G USB Power Adapter
- MercuryMover 2.0 Puts Windows Where You Want Them
- StuffIt Deluxe 2009 Keeps Evolving After 20 Years
- Take Control News: Buy the Right Mac at the Right Time
- VMware Fusion 2.0 Released
- Confessions of an iPhone Convert
- Hot Topics in TidBITS Talk/22-Sep-08
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 22-Sep-08
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>