- Security Update 2008-007 from Apple brings with it a variety of bug fixes and patches, largely to components of Mac OS X's Unix underpinnings. A full list of fixes can be found on Apple's Web site. The update is available via Software Update (the easiest way to get it) or as standalone downloads. You can download Security Update 2008-007 for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Client (31 MB) and Server (125 MB); for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Client, Intel (161 MB) and PowerPC (70 MB); and for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server, Universal (199 MB) and PowerPC (123 MB).
- 1Password 2.9 from Agile Web Solutions updates the password syncing utility with the capability to sync passwords between Macs using a variety of approaches, all without requiring a MobileMe account. This capability requires a switch to 1Password's new (but optional) Agile Keychain format, which offers some advantages (with the promise of more reliable syncing being the big one) over Mac OS X's built-in keychain support, but which can't be managed with Mac OS X's Keychain Access utility. Other new features include saving passwords in Firefox after the information has been submitted, faster Safari startup time, support for Safari 4.0 Developer Preview #2, AppleScript support for showing preference panels, and several tweaks to the Palm version. ($29.95 new, free update, 24 MB)
- Opera 9.6 from Opera Software is an updated version of the company's independent Internet browser. The update improves the built-in email client's performance and flexibility by adding the capability to follow or ignore email threads, as well as including a new "low-bandwidth mode" for use when you're on dial-up or need to get in and out quickly. Opera Link, the browser synchronization service, has also been updated and now enables synchronized custom search engines and typed history. Also new is the optional Opera Scroll Marker, which indicates where you left off reading on one screen when you scroll to the next. (Free, 7.9 MB Intel-only/13.5 MB universal binary)
- Radioshift 1.1 is an updated version of the Internet radio recording tool from Rogue Amoeba. Changes include a new recording status indicator, refinements to the user interface, and a smattering of major and minor bug fixes. ($32 new, free update, 10.8 MB)
Option-click to Hide Apps Quickly
This trick has been available in the Mac OS for years, but many people still don't know it. If you have too many windows cluttering up your screen, you can hide specific ones easily as you work. When you're in any application, hold down the Option key and click on another app's window, on the Dock, or in the Finder to switch to that other app and simultaneously hide all the windows in the previously current app.
Published in TidBITS 949.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Openly Pre-Announces Laptop Announcement
- Take Control News: 50% Off Sale Ending Tuesday!
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of PDFpen 4
- MacBook Pro Repair Program Addresses Nvidia Flaws
- EMC Releases MozyPro Backup for Business
- Netflix Mac Support News and More
- Apple Changes App Store Customer Review Policy
- Tales of Customer Service in the PDF World
- TidBITS Outage Causes Editors Outrage
- Peering Inside a Mobile Phone Network
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 13-Oct-08
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>