We often hear from people who have fallen slightly behind on reading TidBITS each week, so we wanted to remind anyone who missed last week's issue that our 50-percent-off sale to celebrate the 5th anniversary of Take Control runs through Tuesday, 14-Oct-08. For more information, see "Take Control News: 50%-Off Sale to Celebrate 5th Anniversary" (2008-10-06).
Mysteriously Moving Margins in Word
In Microsoft Word 2008 (and older versions), if you put your cursor in a paragraph and then move a tab or indent marker in the ruler, the change applies to just that paragraph. If your markers are closely spaced, you may have trouble grabbing the right one, and inadvertently work with tabs when you want to work with indents, or vice-versa. The solution is to hover your mouse over the marker until a yellow tooltip confirms which element you're about to drag.
I recently came to appreciate the importance of waiting for those tooltips: a document mysteriously reset its margins several times while I was under deadline pressure, causing a variety of problems. After several hours of puzzlement, I had my "doh!" moment: I had been dragging a margin marker when I thought I was dragging an indent marker.
When it comes to moving markers in the Word ruler, the moral of the story is always to hover, read, and only then drag.
Published in TidBITS 949.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Openly Pre-Announces Laptop Announcement
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of PDFpen 4
- MacBook Pro Repair Program Addresses Nvidia Flaws
- EMC Releases MozyPro Backup for Business
- Netflix Mac Support News and More
- Apple Changes App Store Customer Review Policy
- Tales of Customer Service in the PDF World
- TidBITS Outage Causes Editors Outrage
- Peering Inside a Mobile Phone Network
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 13-Oct-08
Take Control News: 50% Off Sale Ending Tuesday!
Dropbox, except your documents are never stored in the cloud.
Three options: No drive ($199), 1 TB ($299), or 2 TB ($399), but…
Save 10% with code “tidbits” <http://www.filetransporterstore.com/>