- Nisus Writer Pro 1.2 from Nisus Software is a fairly major update to the increasingly powerful word processor. The most significant change is a new importer that Nisus Software claims greatly improves file translations, especially for Word's .doc files. Other new features include the capability to export Word .doc files and the Open Document .odt format, new ways of rearranging entries in a table of contents, Flesch and Kincaid reading ease scores, automatically updating time stamps, additional backup options, a Macroize menu that makes it easier to create macros based on the contents of the Find & Replace window, and additions to the Nisus Macro Language. Plus, Nisus Writer Pro 1.2 now includes the Sparkle automatic updating framework so manual downloads will no longer be necessary. For even more detail on the huge number of other changes and bug fixes, see Nisus Writer Pro's release notes. ($79 new, free update, 100 MB)
- Sandvox 1.5.2 from Karelia Software updates the template-based Web site creation tool with new features and under-the-hood enhancements. Changes include smoother media handling and various improvements to pages and pagelets, as well as "updates to page archives, contact forms, collection indexes, Amazon lists, photo grids, sitemaps, raw HTML editing, and QuickLook previews," according to Karelia. Also included is the latest version of the Karelia iMedia Browser featuring enhanced library updating capabilities and improved media search and insert features. The update has also reworked the program's insides, increasing speed of file handling and achieving greater overall stability. ($49 new, free update, 25.9 MB)
- Envision 1.2 from Open Door Networks is a minor update to the Web image browsing software that has seen a significant surge of interest since the iPhone versions appeared (they're good for flipping through editorial cartoons, for instance). Changes in Envision 1.2 include publishing of shows from the Mac to the iPhone (via MobileMe), improvements to help create shows that display well on the iPhone, many new built-in shows, improved transition effects in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and bug fixes. ($39 new, free update, 6.2 MB)
- Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.3 from Apple adds raw file compatibility to Aperture 2 and iPhoto '08 for the Canon EOS 50D, Nikon D90, Sony DSLR-A900, and Nikon Coolpix P6000. According to Apple's Web site, "It also addresses issues related to specific cameras and overall stability." The update is available via Software Update (the easiest way to get it) or as a standalone download. (Free update, 4 MB)
- HistoryHound 1.9.6 from St. Clair Software is a valuable update to the Web history search utility. The new version now enables users to search WebArchive files created by WebKit-based browsers such as Safari, OmniWeb, and Shiira. The update also fixes a bug that had been causing sporadic crashes for some users. Other smaller changes include an improved error log that now saves between launches and a fix for a bug related to searching for file URLs. ($19.95 new, free update, 3.3 MB)
- PopChar X 4.1 from Ergonis Software updates the long-standing tool for finding and inserting special characters with several new features and some minor bug fixes. Changes include improved compatibility with OpenOffice and NeoOffice, the capability to detect the current font in MultiAd Creator Pro, and a new technique for adapting to the particular quirks of certain applications. The update also fixes several bugs, including one that caused the memory allocation of PopChar to grow over time. ($29.99 new, updates are free for 2 years after purchase and then 14.99 euros, 1.9 MB)
Manage Multiple ChronoSync Documents
If you have multiple ChronoSync documents and need to run your syncs or backups manually, you may find it taxing to open each ChronoSync document and execute it manually. There are two easy methods to simplify managing multiple ChronoSync documents.
- You can add the ChronoSync documents to a Container document. A Container holds multiple ChronoSync documents and enables you to control several ChronoSync documents as if they were one document.
- You can make use of the Scheduled Documents Manager window to collect and organize commonly used ChronoSync documents without scheduling them.
Both methods allow you to schedule or manually run your syncs and backups.
Visit ChronoSync Tips
TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 10-Nov-08
to your own drives, friends, and online with unlimited storage.
With 30 days free, backing up is one resolution you can keep.
Your life is digital; back it up! <http://tid.bl.it/code42-tb>