Developer Release of MkLinux -- Apple recently announced the first developer release of MkLinux, a port of the Linux operating system for the Power Macintosh based on the Mach microkernel (see TidBITS-313). Although right now MkLinux only runs on NuBus-based Power Macs (the 6100, 7100, and 8100), Apple plans to make MkLinux available for PCI Power Macs and on future PowerPC Platform machines. You can purchase CD-ROM versions of MkLinux DR1 for $10 from Prime Time Freeware (with complete source code!), but if you have a (very) fast connection, the entire release is available online. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- And This Just In... (05 Feb 96)