Late summer vacations have lured many of the TidBITS staff away this week, and since I’m holding down the fort and doing the single parent thing while Tonya gallivants around Portugal with a friend of ours from college, we’re taking a brief break from our email issue next week. As always, we’ll continue publishing on our Web site in the meantime, of course, which means that if you miss your TidBITS fix via email, you can also follow along via RSS (full text for TidBITS members), Twitter, Facebook, and our iOS app. And if you’d like to take advantage of the time to catch up on some back issues, they’re all available online. The next email issue of TidBITS will appear on 10 September 2012.
Wake On Demand in Snow Leopard
Putting your Mac to sleep saves power, but it also disrupts using your Mac as a file server, among other purposes. Wake on Demand in Snow Leopard works in conjunction with an Apple base station to continue announcing Bonjour services that the sleeping computer offers.
While the requirements for this feature are complex, eligible users can toggle this feature in the Energy Saver preference pane. It's labeled Wake on Network Access for computers that can be roused either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet; Wake on Ethernet Network Access or Wake on AirPort Network Access for wired- or wireless-only machines, respectively. Uncheck the box to disable this feature.
Published in TidBITS 1140.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Watch TidBITS Presents “Protecting Your Digital Life”
- VidBITS: App.net, Photo Sharing, and Excessive Reminders
- OS X 10.8.1 Targets Bugs, Improved Battery Life
- MacTech Conference 2012 Slated for October 17–19
- Boingo Wi-Finder App for iOS Tracks Wireless Data Usage
- Comparing Music Streaming Services: Pandora, Spotify, and Last.fm
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 27 August 2012
- ExtraBITS for 27 August 2012
No Email Issue on 3 September 2012 for Labor Day
Convert double-sided documents to PDF with the one-button ScanSnap.
Scan documents, business cards, and receipts, and eliminate
paper piles from your desk. Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>