Congratulations to Dirk Paul Flach at gmail.com, David Miller at mac.com, J. Sulcer at mac.com, Brent Wiese at sungecko.com, and Jane Stein at gmail.com, whose entries were chosen randomly in the last DealBITS drawing and who each received a copy of Art Text 2.4.2, worth $39.95. But don’t fret if you didn’t win, since BeLight Software is offering a 50-percent-off discount to all TidBITS readers through 4 December 2012. To take advantage of this offer, which drops the $39.95 list price to $19.99, use this special link to purchase from the Mac App Store. Thanks to the 408 people who entered this DealBITS drawing, and we hope you’ll continue to participate in the future!
Mac OS X Zip Expanding Utility
Firefox (and possibly other applications) may ask you what you want to do with .zip archives that you download from the Internet. If you want to expand them with Mac OS X (rather than StuffIt Expander), you may be unsure of which application actually does the job. You're looking for Archive Utility (in Leopard and later) or BOMArchiveHelper (in Tiger). In either case, the application is stored in Hard Drive/System/Library/Core Services/. Don't move it from there, though, or you'll confuse matters.
- DealBITS Drawing: Win a Copy of Art Text 2.4.2 (29 Oct 12)
Published in TidBITS 1149.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- iOS 6.0.1 Fixes Bugs, but Does It Prevent Excessive Data Usage?
- Communicate Better with “Take Control of Messages in Mountain Lion”
- TidBITS Presents “Explaining the Big 3 Confusions with Messages”
- Apple Management Shakeup Aimed at Improving Collaboration
- Winning and Losing on Jeopardy
- How Apple “Doubled” iPad Wi-Fi Throughput
- iPhone 5: The Best Yet, But Still an iPhone
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 5 November 2012