Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
As we start to wrap our heads around what's new in Microsoft Office 2011, Matt Neuburg is the first to weigh in, with a look at Outlook 2011 from the perspective of an Entourage user who doesn't rely on an Exchange server. Also this week, Michael E. Cohen helps out with news coverage of the DroboPro FS storage device and two iPad apps that add PDF annotation capabilities. Michael also looks deeply at what Apple meant with its recent email announcing the end of .Mac HomePage-created Web pages. Finally, Glenn Fleishman offers a solution to unwanted App Store and In-App purchases. Notable software releases this week include Adobe Acrobat/Reader 9.4 and 8.2.5, TweetDeck 0.35.3, MenuMeters 1.4, and Growl 1.2.1.
On 8 November 2010, Apple will "discontinue online viewing of photos, movies, and files shared using .Mac HomePage." But what does that actually mean?Show full article
Two iPad PDF apps - our long-time favorite GoodReader and PDF Expert - have recently incorporated annotation capabilities, turning the iPad into a PDF reviewing and commenting device.Show full article
Data Robotics has introduced the big brother of the Drobo FS, with eight drive bays, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, and offsite storage capability.Show full article
Have your children run up App Store tabs without intending to? Have you bought programs from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by accident? Here's how to avoid that fate.Show full article
Is there a color "rosy-bleak"? There should be. Office 2011's Microsoft Outlook brings improvements in speed and storage over its predecessor, Entourage; but whole features are missing, the interface is clunky, and scriptability is a mess.Show full article
Notable software releases this week include Adobe Acrobat/Reader 9.4 and 8.2.5, TweetDeck 0.35.3, MenuMeters 1.4, and Growl 1.2.1.Show full article