Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
As we start to wrap our heads around what's new in Microsoft Office 2011, Matt Neuburg is the first to weigh in, with a look at Outlook 2011 from the perspective of an Entourage user who doesn't rely on an Exchange server. Also this week, Michael E. Cohen helps out with news coverage of the DroboPro FS storage device and two iPad apps that add PDF annotation capabilities. Michael also looks deeply at what Apple meant with its recent email announcing the end of .Mac HomePage-created Web pages. Finally, Glenn Fleishman offers a solution to unwanted App Store and In-App purchases. Notable software releases this week include Adobe Acrobat/Reader 9.4 and 8.2.5, TweetDeck 0.35.3, MenuMeters 1.4, and Growl 1.2.1.
On 8 November 2010, Apple will "discontinue online viewing of photos, movies, and files shared using .Mac HomePage." But what does that actually mean?Show full article
Two iPad PDF apps - our long-time favorite GoodReader and PDF Expert - have recently incorporated annotation capabilities, turning the iPad into a PDF reviewing and commenting device.Show full article
Data Robotics has introduced the big brother of the Drobo FS, with eight drive bays, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, and offsite storage capability.Show full article
Have your children run up App Store tabs without intending to? Have you bought programs from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by accident? Here's how to avoid that fate.Show full article
Is there a color "rosy-bleak"? There should be. Office 2011's Microsoft Outlook brings improvements in speed and storage over its predecessor, Entourage; but whole features are missing, the interface is clunky, and scriptability is a mess.Show full article
Notable software releases this week include Adobe Acrobat/Reader 9.4 and 8.2.5, TweetDeck 0.35.3, MenuMeters 1.4, and Growl 1.2.1.Show full article