Make PDFpen Your Default PDF Viewer
Want to open all your PDFs with PDFpen, rather than Preview or Adobe Reader? Follow these steps:
- Locate a PDF document in the Finder.
- Control-click the document.
- From the menu, choose Get Info.
- Scroll down the Get Info window to the Open with... pop-up menu.
- Choose PDFpen.
- Click Change All...
Other articles in the series TidBITS History
- 24 Years of TidBITS and Stronger than Ever (17 Apr 14)
- 23 Years of TidBITS: Thoughts on Our Past, Present, and Future (19 Apr 13)
- TidBITS Turns 22: Are You a TidBITS Member? (16 Apr 12)
- Twenty Years of Memories from Friends of TidBITS (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Staffers Recall How They Got Their Starts (19 Apr 10)
- TidBITS Celebrates 20 Years of Internet Publication (19 Apr 10)
- A Few Thoughts After 19 Years of TidBITS (27 Apr 09)
- Follow Along Through 18 Years of TidBITS (21 Apr 08)
- TidBITS Turns 17 (16 Apr 07)
- TidBITS 16th Anniversary Vacation (17 Apr 06)
- TidBITS Anniversary: Looking Back over 15 Macintosh Years (18 Apr 05)
- Take Control 50% Off Sale for TidBITS 14th Anniversary (26 Apr 04)
- TidBITS Turns 13: Setting Goals (14 Apr 03)
- An Even Dozen TidBITS (15 Apr 02)
- TidBITS Goes to Eleven (16 Apr 01)
- Lessons from Ten Years of TidBITS (17 Apr 00)
- TidBITS Nets Ninth Anniversary (19 Apr 99)
- Announcing TidBITS Talk (20 Apr 98)
- Bring Your Own Badge (13 Apr 98)
- TidBITS 7.0 (14 Apr 97)
- TidBITS 6.0 (15 Apr 96)
- TidBITS 5.0 (17 Apr 95)
- TidBITS History (18 Apr 94)
- TidBITS 2.0 (20 Apr 92)
- TidBITS Survey Introduction (08 Apr 91)
This issue of TidBITS brings an encore to our popular issue #104, which focussed on System 7. This time we have a bunch more System 7 frequently asked questions and answers, along with an editorial on the virtues of the now-obsolete Quadra 700, a report on a nasty and long-standing bug in the Hierarchical Filing System, neat tricks with internal CD-ROM drives, and a passel of MailBITS, including one especially for PowerBook 100 and Duo owners.
We don't know how many of you have been with us since TidBITS#001, but those who have might realize that this issue marks the beginning of the fourth year of TidBITSShow full article
WorldScript info is available from Apple at 800/776-2333, so if you have questions about what script modules are available or how to get them, call that number and choose either 4 or 5 from the voicemail systemShow full article
ThoughtPattern Discontinued -- Stephen Zagerman of Bananafish Software announced that the company has suspended all marketing and technical support for ThoughtPattern and is searching for a U.SShow full article
TeleFinder 3.0 -- Spider Island Software, makers of the graphical BBS software TeleFinder, announced version 3.0 of the TeleFinder Group Edition Host software, which can be fully controlled via Apple events and Frontier or AppleScriptShow full article
Sleeping Floppies -- Rich Wolfson , author of The PowerBook Companion, passes on this helpful PowerBook hint. Apple tells you to shut down the PowerBook 100 before attaching the external floppy driveShow full article
The internal AppleCD 300 may not have a headphone jack or volume control, but it's not entirely featureless. If you unplug the microphone you can record 10 seconds of sound from an audio CD in the Sound Control panelShow full article
I don't know if there is a Pulitzer Prize in computer journalism, but if there were I'd nominate Ric Ford of MacWEEK for this year. Fighting with problems on his Macs, Ric tracked down a subtle and confusing bug that has lurked for years within HFS, the Hierarchical Filing SystemShow full article
I was saddened to read of the Quadra 700's demise. Once again, Apple has cancelled a model which, despite clear advantages, doesn't fit into their price and product line structureShow full article
System 7 has been out for several years now, and although some people have yet to switch to it (mostly for incorrect reasons or because it's too much trouble), System 7 is probably the most common System version in useShow full article