Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
This week we bring you a thoughtful article about copy-protected MIDI software, an overview of the new Centris 660 AV and Quadra 840 AV, some humorous notes for people who do telephone technical support, and we continue our multi-part Newton series with a look inside the MessagePad.
AudioVision monitor connections -- In response to last week's discussion about connecting a Quadra 840AV to the AudioVision monitor, we learned that Apple has no plans to modify the 840AV's (or the Centris 660AV's) motherboard to add a different port for connecting to the AudioVision monitorShow full article
This article, a deliberate takeoff of urban legend article, "Your Co-worker Could be a Space Alien," goes out with a grin to people who do telephone technical support. Many callers are actually space aliens who sound human, but you can expose these visitors by looking for certain tip-offs, say experts. Odd or mismatched software and hardwareShow full article
For the majority of Macintosh users, those without copy-protected software, this article will be a minor curiosity. Lucky you. For those left, you will want to read this to save yourself the hours of aggravation that I went through installing The Latest UpgradeShow full article
Apple's newest Macintoshes are fast machines with new video and sound capabilities. To review, the new Centris 660AV, formerly known as the Cyclone, uses a Centris 610 case; likewise, the new Quadra 840, once known as the Tempest, lives in a Quadra 800 caseShow full article
The MessagePad, Apple's new Personal Digital Assistant, is a type of Newton. So, you may ask, what exactly is a Newton? Newton represents an architecture that combines hardware, software, and application technologiesShow full article